66VDubbin
possibly a silly question but what can be done to a 1300 motor performance wise i would like to build my motor up as much as possible without just going ahead and buying a bigger motor. i am intrested to know what can be done.
           thanks
          66vdubbin
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Wow a 40hp man! I haven't seen much offered in the way of HP parts lately. If I remember right you can put a 1500/1600 crank in it to stroke it and then port and polish the heads but reliability WILL suffer. If it were me I would look for a 1600 dual port core engine and then rebuild that as it will be cheaper in the long run.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
ainokea
  The 40 horse or the 1200cc engines came with a 64mm stroke on the crank
while the 1300, 1500, and 1600cc engines came with a 69mm stroke. The major differences were the bore, heads, valve sizes, and carburetion. I can't
remember the bore size of the 1300, but if I'm not mistaken it was 77mm, the
same as the 1200. A big bore kit, a couple of dual port heads, along with
compatible induction, should get you on the road with reliability.

Ainokea
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi,
Yes, You can fit 1600 cylinders and still use Your single port heads.. which more torque than dual port engines.
My 1968 1500 beetle has 1600 cylinders with single port heads an it goes well..
two improvements are an electronic ignition and better exhaust system..
I have used a VW muffler with two larger pipes welded to it instead of using the restrictive small peashooter exhaust pipes. it is a lot noiser than the small pipes..

Major difference was when I added an electronic High Energy ignition system.. felt like I added a few HP.

otherwise: add twin carburetors to the stock 1300 engine..
plus a better exhaust... and electronic ignition...

none of these modifications will have any detrimental effect on Your engine...

I hope that helps

LEE

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
68autobug

One other thing..

You should get a doghouse oil cooler added to Your engine if You do these modifications
otherwise the engine may overheat...
if you get high temperatures over there...

another trick is to have the top of your engine cover open a few inches to let in cool air when You are driving..

You can buy the brackets to hold the engine cover open
from any VW shop...  EMPI sell them..

these are another item that are used in Australia in the long HOT summer...

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0