68autobug

Not a nice Sight - a 1302S Super Beetle on Fire..

Something We all dread...

A Beetle burning on the side of the road, is far too common

here in Australia..

The reasons for the fires:

A fuel filter has been added between the Carburetor and the fuel pump... just hanging on the fuel hose..

eventually either the copper pipe in the Carburetor or the fuel pump comes loose, and the fuel sprays onto the Very hot Exhaust system... and You have an Engine fire fuelled by gas from the gas tank..

or the fuel hoses are old and have perished, with cracks in them, that will split at some time...

or the hoses have no clamps on them, and the hose comes off... this usually only happens when the hose is too loose to start with..

To save your Beetle if the engine compartment suddenly bursts into flames, You need to stop the flow of gas from the gas tank... You could disconnect the fuel hose from where it attaches to the chassis pipe, and stop the flow of gas from the tank..  the easiest way to do this would be to jam a phillips head screwdriver into the rubber hose coming from the gas tank...  even if the fuel still leaks from the hose, the flow of gas to the engine would have stopped and You could then put the fire out with your fire extinguisher...

Its not going to be the easiest thing, to disconnect the hose from the fuel tank, as its hardly readily accessible....

and with one end of Your beetle on Fire....  Yikes..

I just remembered that My fuel filter is sitting under My gas tank, plus I have an electric fuel pump [also under the fuel tank] with an On/Off switch under the dash...

so I can switch My fuel supply Off...

Anyone with an early beetle with a fuel tap lever on the floor, When the lever is at 45 degrees, the fuel from the tank is turned off...  was a great idea...

cheers

Lee Noonan  - 68autoBug - Australia -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
Wayne

That is enough to make a grown man cry . I always carry a fire extinguisher in my ride, just in case...

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I have neoprene fuel line from the utility tunnel to the fuel pump and from the fuel pump to the carb within which is an in line fuel filtre.  My spring '07 prep work involves steel line into the engine compartment and the highest grade neoprene from there.  Every join will have the metal flared, and the line connected with Seal-all and double clamps.  Seal all is an amazing product which reacts with gasoline to form an impervious gel.  I have used it to seal pin holes in gas tanks while the gas was still dripping from the pin hole!  Last month, I did this with a  leaking seam on my son's Toyota.  Kinda surprised the daylights out of him.  Oh yeah, Lee - I promise I will also spring for an extinguisher just in case I still manage to light her up.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Well, the new year is closeby and i hope non of Us have to use our fire extinguishers in 2007....

Many Beetles and type 2s do catch fire and burn here in Australia...

so there must be something that is common....

and I believe its either the fuel filter flapping about in the engine department or the lack of hose clamps used or the fuel lines aren't checked and replaced too often....

The problem being that these fires usually totally burn the vehicle out.

Occasionally I hear of an engine fire....

but mostly, once they catch fire away from any water hoses etc....

Not much can be done.....

Lee

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0