luke22685

hi im about to buy a 1303 witout an engine and was wondering what would be the best engine to get thanks

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
That comes down to what do you want to do with your Beetle.  Is it a daily driver? summer cruiser/show car?   asphalt ripper?  Your car, if it was originally North American, would have come with a 1600 CC dual port engine carbureted in the earlier years and fuel injected later on.  You can get modifications with larger pistons and cylinders to add on the horsepower by taking it up to 1776 CC and  even over 2000CC. If you want to really go nuts there are Porsche engines which will bolt in.   This adds costs and complications so if you want to keep it simple and stock look around for the 1600.  You have a wide  variety of choices with new turn key engines and used rebuilt engines being out there.  If mechanics is not your strength I would start by looking for stock new turn key engines.  Check out the suppliers which advertise on the web site or check with any local clubs or hobbiests.  Someone will know someone who has an engine.  There are lots of them out there.  Good luck with the project.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
luke22685

its gunna be a daily driver and its gb registered in73

Quote 0 0
luke22685

i forgot to say im a mechanic

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Since you are a mechanic the field is wide open to you.  If you are looking for a used engine to rebuild there are a few precautions to take.  Some conditions will leave an engine in a state where rebuilding it will be either impossible or too expensive when compared with a new engine.  The engine case should be examined for signs that the long studs which hold the heads onto the cylinders onto the case have pulled out.  Also serious is damage around the seams of the case where the sides come together.  If somebody pried them apart to split the case for a rebuild they may have done fatal damage to the case.  Where the oil cooler bolts onto the top of the case there are two "ears" which are cast into the case.  Watch for cracks indicating that these have been broken off - fatal damage again.  Go to the site here which gives you engine numbers.  Look for the engine number cast into the case at the base of the alternator/generator stand.  This will give you the age and origin of the case.  If there is nothing there or Hecho en Mexico it is not an original German case and the quality can be not up to the original German standards.  The top end components are all available new at good prices so heads, cylinders and pistons are not a big deal, in fact this is where you can buy oversize for a gutsier engine.  There are good books available to point out the finer details of working on VW engines.  With patience and a few bucks you can cobble together a good mill.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0