airkewld63

i am researching to get a new or rebuilt 1600cc for my '63. i was wonderin' if anyone had any input on a reputable company to order from? also, i thought about having my 1500cc rebuilt but it has an oil cooler that i don't like very much. can the cooler be removed and the engine still be rebuilt? thanks...

1963 std beetle
2003 GTI 20TH AE
2004 Jetta GLI special edition
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
An awful lot depends on how the 1500 is running.  If you can get by with a top end rebuild  on it, you will save a pile over the purchase of a new or rebuilt 1600.  I deal with CIP1 and have always found them to be good suppliers.  But,with the added cost of delivering an engine, you may want to shop closer to home  where you can pick up the mill rather than pay a steep delivery charge.  Check with local clubs.  You may find someone who can lead you to a replacement engine or assist with the rebuild of the 1500.  As for the cooler, yes it can be replaced.  Anything can be replaced.  If it is any sort of after market type,  do yourself a favour and get rid of it.  Some very intelligent engineers designed your stock cooler and air cooled system to work and work well.  Relocating coolers is a crap shoot where you gamble your engine.  Too many people LOSE !  When I bought MY72BUG I found that the previous owner had wedged a cooler between the generator fan shroud and the firewall of the engine compartment.  This guaranteed that the cooling fan did only half of its job. It drew air into the engine compartment but did not blow air through the fins of the cooler!  Engine ran hot - duh, no kidding.  Restored the system to stock and all was sweetness and harmony.  Either way, good luck with the project.  Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
airkewld63

my 1500 ran well, despite it needing a tune up, since i bought it from the kid that was selling a good car. but i never gota tune up and then one day, a spark plug backed out and now i can't a new one in.(think the threads are stripped) i've had a couple of people tell me about a heli-coil(?),but i'm not sure what that is. it does have a aftermarket cooler batween the fan shroud and the firewall. i do not like it, my rear decklid does not open or close properly with it in. thanks for the advise, i may check into the 1500 rebuild t5o save some $ so i can get other goodies to drop it with.

1963 std beetle
2003 GTI 20TH AE
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Sorry I have been away.  I should have got back at ya sooner.  A heli-coil is an insertable thread replacement which will replace stripped spark plug threads.  It is a good news bad news situation.  The only way to do a heli-coil is to pull the engine and remove the cylinder head.  Once you have gone that far down the road of an engine rebuild, you are better off doing a top end on the engine.  A set of new heads ( don't try to get by by buying one )  a hone on the cylinders and new rings will go a long way for not too much coin.  It is a good opportunity to give everything a darn good cleaning out.  All new gaskets and a new main seal will set you back next to nothing but will cure many cases of the chronic drips.  The connecting rods can be removed without splitting the case and new rod to crank bearing halves can be had for under $30.00.  As long as there were no main bearing noises to worry about you can come out of this in good shape for a lot less than the cost of a new short block. ( that would be a crankcase, pistons and sleeves and heads - nothing else. )
       Now, here is how you prevent damaged spark plug threads in the future.
1. NEVER remove spark plugs from a hot engine!  The hot expanded aluminum heads will have a death grip on the steel threads of the plugs.  Let everything cool.
2. When installing new plugs, coat the threads with silver " Never Seize " compound and ALWAYS start your plugs into the threads by hand - never with a tool.
3. Screw the plug in until it stops and then snug only.  A short handled ratchet is good here.  Too much leverage will let you crank it too hard.
Under your current circumstance, you may get by with the use of a spark plug thread tap.  Coat it with heavy oil or tapping lube and run the tap into the bad hole.  Make sure that you are going in dead square or you will cut a new bad hole.  Remove any tap cuttings with a blast of compressed air.  Make sure that the piston is at top dead centre when you do the tap.  Good luck with the project.  Dan

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
airkewld63
thanks for the advice. i may end up doing a rebuild, i found a couple of dudes that do rebuilds fairly inexpensive. one dude is 75 and one 77...crazy! i just don't have the place to do the work or time.
1963 std beetle
2003 GTI 20TH AE
Quote 0 0