Lewis25
Hi guys,

Ive got my beetle with a 1641cc engine with twin carbs and when i bought it, it had the top of the engine lid open to get better air cooling as a lot of them do. But now it is winter and i would like it more practical so have converted back to standard with no air gap. I was basically wondering if this would be ok for the engine and it wont get too hot?

Many Thanks
Lewis

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
There are complicated answers to this question.  A lot of it can depend on what other modifications you have done to your car.  The Beetle was designed to run in all sorts of climatic conditions as long as the carefully designed cooling system remains as it came from the factory.  Some of the "improvements" done by owners actually compromise the efficient original  design.  The worst of these improvements is the deliberate removal of the engine shrouds and tin work.  The engine compartment is a closed system which brings cooling air through the engine cover louvres and directs it down over the fins on the cylinders and the heads and out the bottom of the engine at road level.  If air comes from other sources this system can be thwarted and overheating ensues.  Things like the engine cover seal and the seals back at the firewall and around the edges of the engine tin all come into play.  If they are intact - good.  If they are ripped, missing or have gone hard with the heat they will not do their job and your engine will run hot.  It should not be necessary to have the offset opening in the engine compartment lid either, even in hot climates.  Make sure that all of your tin is in place, your oil cooler is operating right, your thermostat is opening the louvres in the fan, your generator/alternator belt is correctly tightened, your timing is set correctly and you should not have overheating issues.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
MY72BUG is right Lewis. Even with a larger engine than what you have you should be able to run with out the deck lid stand offs. A lot of people put the stand offs on because it looks cool and custom. If you are worried about your engine overheating,first check the things mentioned above and also make sure that the tubes running to the heaterboxs are hooked up and you should be fine.You can get an oil temp gauge at most of the VW vendors out there or any VDO gauge dealership. Another "seatofthepants" way to tell is after driving it for a while (get it to full running temperature) open the deck lid and grab the dip stick, if it's to hot to hold on to you are running to hot. Remember it should be hot but it should not be so hot that you can't hold it.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
Lewis25
Thanks very much! really useful and il do as you say. Thanks guys!
Quote 0 0