Friedle

I just got a new German 34pict3 carb in the box for $125.00 at the Pomona VW Swap meet.  I put a '73 paper element air cleaner on, (used to use the approx. 7" after market, found too much dirt in carb). What vacuum line connects to the small open end of the air cleaner to let the warm air in?  Thanks in advnce, Patrick.

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Do you mean the 5/16 vacuum line on the vacuum motor on top of the air cleaner snorkel - the one which opens and closes the little door inside the snorkel?  It goes back to the thermal vacuum switch at the base of the stock air cleaner.  There are two little pipes sticking out there.  The near one goes to the vacuum motor, the other goes to the vacuum line at the base of the Pict 34-3. 
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Friedle
Yes, the little door connected to the snorkel that lets the warm air into the carb.  Do you know if I can connect it stright to the carb?  I have a 009 distributer, no vacuums on it.  This OEM air clearner housing from the '73 keeps the carb really clean!

Thanks for your response My 72 Bug,
Patrick.
'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
To truly make it work correctly you will need the little vacuum pot between the carb and the cleaner. This will allow it to cycle cool air in also and not just preheated air. On my 76 (has a 74 motor in it, carb not fuelie) I run a paper air cleaner like the one you have. What I do in the winter up here in AK is I block the flap closed so it only draws warm preheated air. This works fine as the temperatures up here right now are rarely above zero let alone above the freezing mark. If you do this where you are I would watch the engine temp and remove the block to allow cool air in after the engine has warmed up.
Olspeed
P.S. 25 below today and falling
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0