snakesnoot
I have started a resto of a 1974 super. This being my first experience with a vw I was curious why the drivers side mirror looked different. After taking the mirror off to do some body work I now know that the mirror is an aftermarket mirror that is not very attractive. The previous owner filled the factory mirror mounting hole in the door with what looks like fiberglass and bondo. I can only imagine the fun of cleaning that mess out to reinstall a stock mirror. I would like to put one of the mirrors from an older beetle that mounts to the door hinge but I do not see a mirror that is listed to fit in any catalog. Does anyone out there know if an older hinge style mirror will fit? Any other Ideas.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Go to the web site for CIP1 and look up mirrors and hinges.  You can get the older style hinge mounted mirrors as long as you get the ACC C10 3033 hinge pin which has the threaded mounting for them.  Removing an old hinge pin can be a real chore depending on how seized they are in there.  If the hinge is worn you can even get an oversize pin for it.  If the previous owner didn't mangle the door mount  threads( other than fill it with bondo) I would be tempted to go to the higher quality stock mirrors which are available at CIP 1.  In the long run it might be easier than doing the hinge pins and ending up with something non-stock.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
snakesnoot

How are the hinge pins removed. Are they threaded in the hole?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
No.  They are driven in and you may need an air hammer to knock them back out.  I tried to do one which had been put into my car door hinge upside down!  No way.  I became concerned that I might do damage to the paint so I left well enough alone.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
snakesnoot
Do I have to drive it up or down to get it out. (If it was installed properly.)

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
If it was installed properly you should drive it down.  They are driven in from the bottom and leave a little well at the top which you fill with oil and then cover with a little black plug - which is nearly always missing on old bugs.  The guy who did (in) mine drove it down from above because it is easier that way.   WRONG.  That leaves the little well at the bottom of the hinge and oil doesn't flow up hill !!
Quote 0 0
snakesnoot
Thanks alot. I think Mine are in properly. The little well is on top.

Quote 0 0
snakesnoot

I managed to clean out the hole for the stock mirror. The threads do not look too awful bad. Do you know the thread size so I can run a chaser in the hole to clean out the remnants?

Quote 0 0