amicablerogue
I have a 71 super that just died on me. I try to turn it over and I get a single click. I have changed the battery but no change. Also when it warms up the oil light flickers on then turns steady at idle. I have changed the sensor but it still does it. At idle it sounds like it wants to cut out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
In the woods at daybreak, you will know there is a god.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
So it will start and run? Problem#1 Check your wires to the starter from the key switch and clean the connections. With the car in NEUTRAL!!!and the hand brake set and block the wheels just to be safe, crawl under the right side and use a screw driver to short between the main battery lead and the little spade connector on the solenoid and see if it spins over. If it won't your starter is shot. This all of course depends on if the engine will turn over at all. Problem #2 first once again set the hand brake and put it in neutral. go to the back of the car and open the deck lid. Without the engine running grab the pulley and give it a pull back and forth,toward the front and then toward the back of the car. You should really not be able to  feel it move .002 to .005 thousands is not very much. If it moves a lot then you have a problem that really can only be solved by a rebuild. You CAN boost the spring pressure on the oil pressure regulator valve at the front of the block closest to the clutch, but it will only be a band-aid. If your end-play is good then this is where you want to take a look anyway as the spring might be weak. It could be other things also but try this first and let us know what you find. Good luck
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
amicablerogue
Alright, I pulled on the pulley and didn't get a lot of play. So I will try the spring. I turned the key and can hear the starter engage but not spin. I will get it checked out but I believe the starter is bad. I will keep you updated!
Quote 0 0
ainokea
Did you try turning the engine over by hand? You can do this with either the generator or with a 30mm wrench on the crank pulley. If you're able to turn the engine over at least one revolution, it's not frozen,  and your starter is most likely, 1. bad, and needs replacing, or 2. you've got starter grounding issues, or 3. you've got a voltage drop situation.

Ainokea 
Quote 0 0
amicablerogue
I don't believe its seized. It just started doing it. I could connect a charger and it would work. I have the starter off and will bench test it tomorrow. If it works then I will start with the wiring.
Quote 0 0
76fisedan
its the starter solenoid they freeze up you can take them apart and grease them but for now just give it a couple of taps it should turn over
1976 fuel injected standard is new to me but its my baby
Quote 0 0
amicablerogue
I took the starter to the auto parts store. It told him it had to be tested on the car! So it looks like I have to buy a starter and see if that's the problem. The first thing it tells him to start the car! How stupid is that!?! The car won't start!
Quote 0 0
66VDubbin
heres a couple things before you get a new starter hopefully you get this in time. might save some money. inside the case were the shaft from the starter goes in above the flywheel is a brass bushing. if this is all blown out the gear on you starter motor will not line up, or hop on the teeth of your fly wheel and grind, the motor itself will just spin without tunring over the engine cause the gears are not longer lined up correctly, or you could even just hear a celenoid "click" like you say. i would also check the smaller guage wire that comes from your ignition to the celeniod. make sure all contacts are clean and real nice. also do likewise with your batter terminals and conectors at the starter. sometimes they might seem tight and look clean and everything else in the car will still seem to work fine but when you turn the key to start it youll just hear a click sound cause of bad connections. Also VERY important! if you do end up switching out the starter for a new one make sure you pull out that old brass bushing and REPLACE it. a new or rebuilt starter should come with one. this will save you from further problems and possibly from spending money on a new flywheel. good luck hope everything works out.

Quote 0 0