Friedle
I just got a used 30-pict 3 for $20.00.  It's in good shape, looks like it just been rebuilt, fresh gaskets.  Has anyone put one in a dual port 1600?  I run electronic Pertronix no vacuum hoses.  I continue with a slight flat spot, I have her dialed in pretty well, but average 21mpg.  Would the 30 get rid of the flat spot?  What about performance?  Thanks in advance for any experiences.

Patrick.
'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
north411
I'm not sure exactly which carb I have (I think a 34 Pict/3), and I had the same flat spot issue you have.  I asked my mechanic about it, and he had me increase the accelerator pump setting, and that got rid of my problem.  The setting was not far from the maximum setting so that's where I set it.  I only get about 19 mpg in town.

I hope this helps.

Quote 0 0
Friedle
I was hoping for more specific info related to the 30/3.  I hear from some folks that a 30pict3 could give better mileage up to 5mpg more...but top speed would not be as high as a 34.  My 34 runs fine, and I average 20-mpg city, 28-mpg highway,(uh, drive her like I stole it...).  When I get some extra time I may experiment with the 30.  I'll just drive her daily

Patrick.
'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I can't claim any expertise in this area but I have heard about the "flat spot" issue and at the time the explanation was related to the 009 distributor.  Without the immediate assistance of a vacuum advance there is a hesitation built into the power curve while the mechanical advance deploys.  MY72BUG runs a 009 and this hesitation "feature" has been ever present.  Some foot sophistication on the gas pedal can make the problem something which you can live with.  Then again I can't say that I drive it like I stole it.  I drive it more like I spent four years and $ 8000 getting it to the stage where it is a reliable summer cruiser.  As for the difference with the PICT carbs you may find that you have to doctor your intake manifold as the spacing of the mounting studs on the bottom of the carbs is not the same.  At least that was the way I found mine when I took mine apart.  It was no big deal just drilling a set of holes a bit further apart ( or closer together)  The base gasket covered up the other unused holes.   For what it's worth.  Dan (MY72BUG) in frozen Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0