hugh

I came across a 34 pict 3 that I was able to get cheaply my plan being to replace a 30 PICT 1 I am using now.  The 34 has a round black pot mounted on the carburetor (facing the rear of the engine) with a rod which is attached next to the throttle valve lever. A short vacuum hose comes out the front of the black pot.

I don't know what this thing is or where it goes. I assume it's a throttle valve positioner of some sort. My question is...can I remove it and run the engine without it? If I can't do that where does the vacuum hose go? Thanks

Quote 0 0
Marc

Yes you can remove the pot. How were you planning to mount the 34 in place of a 30? The bolt pattern and manifold ID are substantially larger.

Quote 0 0
hugh

The 30 pict had an adapter of some sort bolted onthe bottom. The 34 pict bolted right on w/o an adapter. My problem now is getting the 34 pict to idle correctly. It's not clogged anywhere and the accelerator arm seems tight. The idle cutoff solenoid is working.

Today I noticed that the fuel pump did not seem to be pumping since the filter was dry. I pulled it off and found that the push rod, 100 mm, does not extend more than 1/4 inch above the flange at its highest point. I read in Bentley that it should be 13mm. I cut a dowel to 108mm and dropped it in the hole. It measured 13mm at its highest point. There's only one gasket under the plastic flange and one above it so I don't think that's the problem.

The engine in this car was made in Brazil, id no. AS21 043 101 1011 and I've always assumed it to be a 73. It has an alternator. The fuel pump is the slanted type. (Brosol). I'm wondering if I need a 108mm arm or have the wrong drive gear.

I'm going to also check the fuel tank to see if its clogged. Am I correct in thinking there's a filter in the outlet of the tank?

Quote 0 0