66VDubbin
i have currently found that my little bug was in dire need of new brake lines. they were deteriorating on the insides causing my wheel cylinders to not retract. anyways i replaced all 4 of the rubber lines and bled the brakes according to the manual. i made a reservoir out of a clear bottle and some clear hose so i would be able to see when all the air was out of the system. my problem is that i have bled the hell out of the brakes and after running about 5 big bottles of dot 3 through the system i still get a very foamy looking brake fluid coming out from the system. i have checked everything out and i have no leaks anywere. brakes work after bleeding but you have to push the pedal down till its about a inch off the floor pan to make them work then after a little drive they stop working again. i know i might be in for a master cylinder and wheel cylinder re-build but wanted to ask any of you guys if there is anything else i should to to make by brakes work. o yah my pads are good and adjusted properly too.
           thanks,
         66vdubbin
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
There is an adjustable rod which runs from the base of the pedal to the master cylinder.  Have you tried taking up the slack there?  If you have, then I think that you are heading into master cylinder territory especially since there are no clear leaks in the rest of the system and you still are losing pressure and getting air into the lines.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Careful on adjusting the little rod as it was factory adjusted. It is set at 0.04 inch or 1mm between the end of the pushrod and the bottom of the piston recess. You have to keep this setting. I think your problem is with the master cylinder "just a guess" but that is where I would start.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
66VDubbin

yah i read about not screwing with that setting i just got a new master today so ill be having fun tommorow.

Quote 0 0
66VDubbin
misson successful. installed new master cylinder. for those who havnt done it yet dont be discouraged its not as hard as many say.
            thanks guys,
            66vdubbin
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Good to hear you got it fixed. Bad thing about the rubber brake lines though isn't it. I had the same problem with my 66 Ghia last year, 41 year old car and stock hoses no wonder. But my problem started when I was about 60 miles from anywhere and I had to keep loosening the shoe adjusters to get home.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0