taterbug71

I have a 1971 std. beetle that i have to replace the generator on. the question i have is do i replace it with another generator or do i upgrade to a alternator? is the alt. that much better for the money in a stock beetle? I have keep the beetle close to stock no big sound system and no plans for one. so what do you think will i be OK to replace my gen. with another gen. and save some money and be OK. or do i save up some more and get the alt. so what do you think i NEED. thanks

Quote 0 0
olspeed
If you are never going to put better lights or a sound system in it then the stock generator will work fine. Its cheaper and hey if we ever do get nuked it will run afterwords All kidding aside though the alternator is a better way to go because it charges the battery from the moment the engine is running even at idle, where a generator does not. A generator needs to have some rpms to start charging the battery, so theoretically your battery could discharge while driving in slow traffic especially at night. The thing is as long as you keep the rpms up even just a little bit you will always be fine with the "stock" electrical. So it is really up to you. If you change to an alternator you will also have to change the stand and the fuel pump and flip the accelerator pump lever on the carburetor.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
ainokea
  Olspeed's right,it's up to you. BUT, if a generator has given you good service, why go through the added expense of putting in an alternator?

ainokea
Quote 0 0
Cailleach
If the generator works for you, I'd stick with it.  Plus you can rebuild them and they are em, more cost efficent than an alt.  I wish I could but an gen back on my 68.
PO changed it out, why or how I know not, all I know is it has eaten two pulleys and alts for no reason since I have had it on the road... which equals 2 alts in 2 months. 
If it was still a gen, at least I could afford to fix it agin....
68 type 1
Quote 0 0