ablessedbugowner
OK, I was driving my 72 Super Beetle down a rough road yesterday. The right turn signal came on and wouldn't go off. The flashers work if I turn them on. When I use the left turn signal it works fine and the right one stops but as soon as I make the turn and the left signal goes off the right one goes on again. Anyone have a problem like this before? I figure something must have gotten knocked loose but I'm not sure where to start looking.
'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Sounds like the turn signal switch inside the steering column has had a mishap.  Remove the X shaped cover over the steering wheel.  It just pries off.  Remove the big nut at the centre of the steering column.  The steering wheel may need some persuasion but it will come off.  Behind it is the whole mechanism for the turn signal switch.  It could be a broken plastic plate which is causing the signal  switch to be constantly engaged.  It could also be a wire loose in there.  Give it a good spray with electronic circuit cleaner and then work the mechanism.  There will likely be something visibly wrong with it.  Jury rig repairs are possible but in the worst case you can buy the whole works new from most VW parts suppliers.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
ablessedbugowner
OK, I went ahead and bought a new turn signal switch. I had replaced it with a used one about a year ago so this time I figured on new. I installed it today and it doesn't flash all the time now! The only problem now is that the right turn signal won't flash at all now. The left works fine, the hazard lights flash on both sides. The right turn signal just doesn't work at all now. Any suggestions?
'72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Friedle
Check all left side wiring.  In the front there is a ground to the body inside the trunk on the floor, it might have rust, clean up all wiring front and rear lights, turn signals, (when you disassemble a car for paint you learn what it all looks like hands on).  Let us know what you find.  Did you check all the wiring behind the dashboard? 

Godspeed, Patrick.
'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0