3rdwheel
Can anyone tell me how I can quiet the lifter noise on my VW trike?
The engine is from a 72 beetle. I had a garage adjust the lifters, but the noise is worse. I believe they just returned them to factory specs. Someone told me he put a PCV valve in the valve cover and it fixed his noise. I would appreciate any advise you can give me. Thanks
Mark Pursell
Quote 0 0
hugh

Are they hydraulic lifters or stock? If hydraulic they should be adjusted to zero lash then in 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Some say more. Unfortunately, unless you built the motor there's no way to tell which you have without looking inside the engine and adjusting the stock lifters to hydraulic specs would likely burn a valve.

Quote 0 0
3rdwheel

Thanks for your help, I believe they are stock lifters. Would you recommend hydraulic lifters? There are less than 4000 miles on the engine rebuild. How often do the lifters need adjusted? Thanks again for your help.

Mark Pursell
Quote 0 0
hugh

Hydraulic lifters don't need adjusting nearly as often. I check mine every few months or so. But I would not tear down an engine with 4000 miles on it just to get them. In other words, I don't think they're any better.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi 3rdwheel.  If your ' 72 is a stock 1600 with solid lifters, your lashes should be .006" STONE COLD.  Tightening the valve lashes beyond this is a real crap-shoot just about guaranteed to leave you with burnt-out valves from loss of heat transfer when the valves seat themselves.  What grade of oil are you using?  Are you sure that it is a lifter tick and not a bearing knock?  If your adjustments are correct, try using a 20W-40 or even 20W-50 oil.  See if that makes a difference.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
3rdwheel

Thanks for the reply. I think trying the 20w40 or 20w50 oil would be a good starting point. I believe in trying the cheapest fix first.

Mark Pursell
Quote 0 0