NYer_in_MI
Does anyone know a really good, reliable and "inexpensive" parts source for Vanagons?  There doesn't seem to be any equivalent for my car to "Mid-America Motor Works" or "Wolfsberg West"  for Vanagon drivers... even those of us who drive the older air-coolers.
Daniel Mosher
Site Cartoonist
Quote 0 0
olspeed
It would depend on what you are looking for. Engine wise up to about the mid-70's the bug and the bus had about the same thing, when they went to the type 4 motor things changed. Switches and wiring and the like are mostly still around from the different vendors that you have mentioned and so are sheet metal pieces. but some things just like on Type 3's and VW Things will have to be sourced through a used parts house. One place you might try is "Parts place inc."
out of Auburn Hills MI. phone #(248)373-2300 their catalog lists many vanagon parts. please note I have not had a chance to use this company but the last time I mentioned them as a possible supplier there were many good comments.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
CIP1 carries a wide variety of parts for the old vans.  It is a pity that they no longer produce the paper catalogue.  It was over 300 pages and had all of the van repair panels, upholstery sets, lights etc.  You can still get all of this but I find that their electronic search can be frustrating when you know you are using the right key words but are not finding what you know is there.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
I do actually have a catalog for "Parts Place," which is only about an hour south of where I live.  I've heard mixed reviews about them, locally.  They've been down there for a long time, though... since I first used to drive VW's in the 1980's... so I have considered giving them a try.

Thankfully, there are still auto parts stores who carry some of the components to old VW's... even the old Type 1's. 

Daniel Mosher
Site Cartoonist
Quote 0 0