I'm having a helluva time trying to replace the radio antenna on my 69 bug. It is situated behind a duct coming down from the corner of the dash (water drainage? vent?) and I can't get to the base to uninstall. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks! Fuzzmaster
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi Fuzzmaster.  Welcome to the world of all things VW.  With regard to your antenna, I am assuming that it is a stock VW unit.  Is it all chrome ( or chrome with a black base) and does it fully retract?  If so, it probably is original and removal should involve loosening the nut located on the outside of the car and pushing the unit down and then removing it from the inside.  It is located in one damned tight spot.  That tube thing is the hot air line to the windshield defroster. ( unless you are looking at the retracting tube of the antenna ! )  It should just pull off and with it off you should be able to get at the antenna.  This is the realm where little hands are useful. I recall this as being so tight that removal of the front hood support would have been a good plan except that I was able to worm a hand in there to remove the antenna once it was loosened from the outside and pushed down into the void.  If this is aftermarket generic with the nut on the inside you are in for a battle royale.  Best of luck with the project.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

Thanks for the reply. I believe it is a stock antenna. I actually did wind up removing the hood and hood support to get to it, but it's still a tight squeeze and my hands definitely aren't small. The tube for the defrost vent appears to have "self-welded" itself to the metal tube over the intervening 35 years or so, but now that I know there's no electrical inside it I might be able to "persuade" the two to part ways. The trouble with unscrewing the antenna base is that the upper and lower portions of the base just spin freely. I'll have to get a vice-grips on the lower portion to be able to unscrew the upper portion, and that means the heater tube has gotta go! Thanks for the help! --Fuzzmaster 

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Well done Fuzz.  Clearly some of these car bits were intended to go together and never require service ever again.  Thirty years later it sometimes comes down to "use of force" as we would say in the law enforcement business.  When I experience such moments, I always think about that next guy who will be working on MY72BUG around the year 2036.  Being the wonderful person that I am, I make use of  Never Seize Compound on threads that some day may need to come apart.  This has already paid off in the 7 years that I have owned my car.  Do likewise and you shall live to rejoice in that simple act of making something serviceable for the future.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Hi Dan & others,

Yes, fitting the genuine VW antenna in the hole [supplied] is a tight fit,

luckily I have small hands...

so I'm just hoping no one ever breaks it off....

I did have My trunk bonnet off at the time too...

plus fish oil everywhere....

I'm learning not to use the extra strong loctite everywhere....

It can make life VERY difficult when you have to remove a bolt...

I have been using Anti Seize on a lot of bolts, especially the ones done up with a very high torque [150 FT lbs+]....

although I did use a bit of loctite on the flywheel gland nut yesterday, but only on the last few threads...

I wrecked a flexplate on My semi auto, where it bolts to the torque converter... the 4 bolts are only about 8mm in size and the nuts are sweated onto the back of the flexplate...

the bolts didn't come loose but the center of the flexplate did...

I undid the 4 bolts OK... but when I went to do them up again...

High strength loctite was still in both threads... and the nut came loose....

I couldn't do anything but take the engine out and grind off the special bolt, which aren't available in Australia...

anyway I've made some bolts... and I'd like to loctite them in...

but not with the extra strong loctite... maybe the weakest one and just on the last thread.... lol..

Lee  Noonan      68AutoBug   Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0