I am looking to put a rack like a thule or something like it but dont even know if they are made for it, i have a 65 bug.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Did you check to see if Thule has a listing for the classic Beetle?

Your best bet would be a wooden slat vintage style rack. CIP1 has one that will fit your car for about $190.00. Search "roof rack" to find it at their site.
Quote 0 0
Thanks wayne,

I checked the Thule website and also called a couple local vedors here in AZ with no luck so far, I have looked into the roof rack that you recomended but i really want something that lets me lock my snowboard into place. I did some searching on ebay and found a stock vw ski rack that was offered in the 70s so i bought that and hope that i can make it work. Thanks moesbees.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I did see a vintage rack that fastens on to the back deck lid through the air intake vents. They didn't have snow boards back then but maybe you could adapt it somehow. A VW swap meet or eBay would be your best bet for something like that. You could try posting a wanted ad in the air-cooled classifieds section as well.
Quote 0 0
It was pictured on a type 3 it is a actual ski rack that mounts on the roof, i have seen the one that you were talking, this is a link the top of the page is what i think you are talking about but if you scroll down is the picture ot the type 3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/70accessories/page2.jpg
Quote 0 0
Wayne
The one on the Bug looks like it might work. I also checked the Thule site and they list the attachments for the Bus. I figure since the Beetle uses gutters too, that one might fit. We used to sell Thule at my work and the crossbars and snowboard attachments are universal so as long as the 'feet' will fit the gutters you're good to go.
Quote 0 0