I have a 1969 vw beetle with an auto stick transmission that I bought from a guy at work that had set in his barn for about 20 years.  I was thinking about changing the transmission fluid,can I unhook the hose from the atf cannister at the bottom of the cannister in a pan of new atfluid and then the one that was screwed into the top of the filler stem into a pan to drain the old stuff out and run it untill I see clean fluid running out. Will this work??? If it will work do I need the car jacked up with the transmission in gear running???  Also I was going to put a temp,pressure,and amp gauges in, can I screw the temp gauge sensor in the oil drain plug hole???  and if if these things will work and i'm not talking out of my butt , what should the temp be and also the oil pressure???   Where can I find the size of all the fitting so I can get extra fittings to extend the hoses  and put an inline gauge to measure the pressure being pumped threw the auto stick  Thanks, Paul

Quote 0 0
Old_Paint
Don't know much about the Auto-Sticks, but rest assured, if the fittings are threaded into the case, they'll be metric pipe threads, not machine threads.  I.E., they will be tapered threads.  The only thing I could suggest would be to take one of the old fittings off, go to your local parts house, use a thread checker to get the basic size and pitch, then start hunting down pipe threaded fittings.  Most of the newer imports also use metric pipe threads for most pressure/flow connections, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find SOMETHING that will work.  The good thing about our little pregnant skates is that most everything is fairly low pressure and pretty easy to seal up.  I run an external cooler (about 10x the cooling capacity of the original) on my engine because of mods.  I lost one of the hose nipples somehow while installing it, but managed to find another pretty easily.  Not a drop has EVER leaked with simple hose clamps holding the lines on.  It may be possible to visit a local industrial supply company for some metric pipe parts too.

I didn't answer your question about the procedure, but hopefully answered some about parts.  The beauty of our little cars is they lend themselves very easily and readily to modifications and retro-mods without upsetting original design too much.  Funny, I think this was the whole objective in 1939.
Quote 0 0