hi new to site i have a mantaray sports buggy,and am in process of trying to get her back on the road but im in a bit of a pickell the chassis number starts with 1068. basicaly i dont know how to read the number and would love to know how old she is so i can order wheel bearing ect.... Please can anyone help me. she was first registered in 1971. but when i bought 1971 wheel bearings of coarse they didnt fit her the shop were great but after trying numerouse times to find out her age they gave up so i would be gratful if any of u could help me get the old girl back on the road.cheers 4 your time
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi Manta and welcome to the world of VW.  Superbeetles.Com has a selection which gives you a breakdown on chassis numbers.  From what I can see, if your number has no letters and is seven digits long, your chassis would date from Jan. to Dec. of 1956.  If it is eight digits long, the car is a 1954.  Check out the Superbeetles.com website and see if this makes sense.  MY 72 Bug.   Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

cheers bud yes the vin has no letter and is eight digits long thank loads now i got to find a supplier 4 some wheel bearings of that age wish me luck cheers again

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Good on ya Manta.  I've been messing with MY 72 BUG since 1999 and one of the best bits of advice I ever received was to check out CIP1.com.  Spring for one Yankee greenback and get the paper catalogue.  What is out there and is available will just blow your mind.  Just compare notes with people who are restoring other cars.  They see what is available to Bug people and see the prices we pay and they have the options of turning green with envy or dumping their money sewer rolling iron and joining us.  There is always plenty of free advice for one and all.  Someone else will have experienced your problem and will help you.  Pass the word.   MY 72 BUG  Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

wooooooo dooooood checked out the website. we pay a bloody fortune compared to the greenbacks iv,e ordered some front wheel bearings at half the price my local shop can do them so as long as import tax aint 2 bad im laarrrfffing all the way cheers chap i salut u

Quote 0 0