USR612

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please tell me if I'm breaking any rules here.

I'm in the process of restoring my '74 bug, have the chassis, engine and tranny all done, now comes the body which has been corroded thoroughly by 20 years of Canadian winters.  Someone nearby has a '84 Brazilian beetle with a rusted out chassis but good body right down to the heater channels.  Is it possible to swap his body to a '74 chassis? Is the $1000 CDN he's asking a fair price for the whole beetle?  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Daniel

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Assuming that your ' 74 is a standard and not a Super Beetle you should be OK.  The $ 1000 , is it a complete Beetle with a working engine?  If so, it could be a decent parts car for maybe a bit under that price.  Get right underneath it all along where the chassis and body components meet.  Check it out down under.  Also being of the Canadian persuasion, I am trying to picture a Canadian ' 84 Brazilian Beetle which could still have a good body on a rotten chassis.  I might seek the opinion of a professional body man or a good VW hobbiest.  Where abouts in the Great White North are you located?  Southern Ontario has some skilled amateur Bug people.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
USR612

Thanks!  Apparently the heater channels and lower quarter panels are rotten too, and I found another '74 beetle with only rotten floors for $500, seems to be quite decent.  I am in Southern Ontario, spending my time between Port Hope and Haliburton.

Thanks Again!

Daniel

Quote 0 0