I am preparing to buy frame parts for my wife's 1973 VW SuperBeetle Convertible.  The parts I am looking for are the frame head, floor pans, etc.  I am looking for recommendations on who provides the best quality parts, Wolfsburg West or Mid-America Motorworks.  Of course if anyone has used any other suppliers that you find exceptional please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Joe

Quote 0 0
Wayne
http://www2.cip1.com/?Click=30260 has great prices along with free shipping on most items. I've never had a problem with anything that I've ordered from them. 
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi jseitz.  I agree with Wayne on CIP1.  I have had a lot of dealings with them including a part return which they handled without any hassles.  Some of what you need to consider is whether you have any suppliers within driving distance of where you live.  I have checked the CIP1 catalogue and some of the major components such as floors are going to cost you for shipping charges.  If you can put together a major order and drive somewhere to pick it up, you could be saving some money over the cost of shipping same.  The parts themselves are made by a handful of manufacturers from all over the world.  VW in Mexico is still stamping sheet metal.  My convertible's floors and heater channels came from Italy and Denmark.  See also if you can find a VW club.  These are great sources for both parts and information on where to find parts.  I don't know where you are from but here in southern Ontario, there is a big club in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.  Guys there can also get you used parts which can be cheaper and better if they are original VW.  Don't forget to register your convertible with TYP15.com the international Beetle convertible registry based in Krefeld, Germany.  It is a totally non-commercial site dedicated to registering Beetle convertibles from all over the world.  Take a spin through the site and you will see some truly beautiful cars dating back to the early 1950's.  Keep us posted on the project.  If you have any problems bring them here.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont. Canada
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

Dan

Thank you for your recommendation.  So far it seems to be a toss up between CIPI and Wolfsburg West.  What have you heard about Mark's Bug Barn?

Joe

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Marks is a small outfit located in Hamilton Ontario Canada. I have ordered parts from them before with no problem. I even had a return that was handled properly.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I can speak to that one too.  I am actually from the Steel City and Mark's original Main St. East location was about five minutes from home.  I made a number of purchases from them when I first started working on MY72BUG in 1999.  I saved a lot on heavy item purchases such as floors, heater channels, fenders and bumpers.  Being able to just drop by and pick them up was pretty handy.  The only time I got a little peeved was when I was not able to get home to Hamilton from Goderich and had to receive a number of items via courier.  One of the items, a door seal was dead wrong.  It was for the right side door but was definitely a duplicate left side seal in a bag marked "right".  Not my fault.  Not their fault either but I was informed that I had to pay to send the wrong one back to Hamilton and then pay again to send the right one to me.  I was not amused.  Then at a car show, a guy told me that he got his stuff sent to his door from British Columbia for zilch !  I mean ...whatthe*%^&$# was going on here !  Moreover, after I paid one measly buck, I had a CIP1 catalogue in my hot hands and had an epiphany of all of the cool stuff that was available including some parts that I was told were just not available like the  rubber isolator where your filler neck for the gas tank comes through the side of the body.  Not available said everyone.   $9.95 and shipped to you for free said CIP1.  For the heavy stuff, I would think about making a pick up and saving the shipping charges.  Still continue to shop around.  I had to source my two-tone upholstery from an outfit in the States who dealt TMI.  CIP1 had the plain stuff and at a really good price but the two-tone was special order and could not be done by them.  Two things you will be thankful for when you get into your restoration:  1. VW Bug parts are readily available, from a wide variety of sources which include used, new and aftermarket parts    2.  The prices for same, make VW the affordable restorable - bar none. I talked with  a guy at a car show who had $ 1500 into a front bumper for his Packard and was looking at seat upholstery in the $3000 range. My high grade bumper new was $75 and I upholstered the front buckets and rear bench in premium two-tone for about $ 240 doing the job in my rec room in an afternoon.  The hardest part for him to take was the perpetual crowd around the Beetle while the Packard wasn't drawing flies.  Sorry about the rant.   Dan
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0