68autobug

Here is a photo of the best dash that I have seen in a Beetle..

It has air conditioning and was modified by the owner.

It also has a subaru engine..

A beautiful job in My opinion...

I love it....

just so different to anything I've seen done before...

I wonder if VW had changed the dash to this whether they would have sold MORE Beetles....??

Lee Noonan - 68autobug - Australia -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
Friedle

Great photo documentation of you restoration, you give me inspiration and hope!  I've driven my '72 Super 17-years, last built the engine 11-years ago, have 94,000 on the motor now.  I just have not got around to restoring her cosmetically.  Thanks, Patrick. 

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
Wayne

That instrument pod looks like it was taken out of a Honda. Nice install though...

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Crikey ! Nice work.  I always doff my hat to anyone who can do that kind of custom work.  By  the curved windshield it must have been a Superbeetle.  I can't blame anyone for doing custom work on those dashes.  When the style changed from the old flat windshield and flat dash, dashboard restoration work became a bit of a challenge.  They sell a dash cover to repair the fancy dashes but the whole padding piece has gone the way of the dodo.  I was lucky.  With mine being a ' 72, I was able to find a used factory dash pad from one of our VW legends, Ernie Abel.  Failing that, a new one is still available for these older ones.  The old old all metal dashes are very Art-Deco and always show well at a car show as long as some hacker didn't take a Sawzall to the dash to install an 8 Track back in the day.  I can't believe that better dashes would have saved the bug.  They fell victim to better Japanese imports which had features like working heaters and defrosters and the high value of the German Deutchmark.  The final bugs were outclassed by better imports.  You can see Hyundai doing the same thing today.  We keep our bugs as toys - but what toys they are!  Dan in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I will toss in another two cents worth on the subject of dashes and interiors in general.  If you want to see living testimony to the adage that nothing succeeds like excess, go to the web site for VW beetle convertibles  ( TYP15.com) and either go to the section showing all Austrian beetles or go to # 297.  It is a later model dash done to the nines with more gauges than 747.  The guy is so into the interior he never does show a good overall shot of the whole car.  I can't say that the colours turn my crank but damn it is one impressive piece of work.  Take a spin through the whole site.  You will find MY72BUG parked there with the entries from the Great White North - not enough of them but we are getting there.  This summer, I intend to sign up every ' vert I can locate.   After  all, I still owe them big time for furnishing me the rear window info when everyone else on the planet was working on ripping me off.   Dan ( -18 C.) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0