I've just replaced two of their 1776 engines. The first one didn't last 200 miles, and those were babied break-in miles. The second one didn't make it off the lift due to a major oil leak at the oil pump. After I asked around at independent shops and suppliers that specialize in air cooled cars, I discovered their poor reputation. I am not affiliated with any of their market competition, and my only purpose in this post is to save someone else the hassle of switching out their engine numerous times. Since the old engine core was turned in, I'll have to come up with another one. I intend to drive to the nearest big city with a machine shop that will even work on these, walk it through each step personally, and assemble it myself, like I should have done in the first place. Consider yourself warned.

Quote 0 0
I would say, beware of anything from GEX. It's all garbage. I learned the hard way. I bought an entire drive train from them. A "zero mile" 1600 tunkey, a 67 swingaxle trany including appropriat nose cone to fit my 57 beetle, axles, rear brakes. Everything.

First thing to go was the generator. A bosch unti that neither bosch or GEX would replace even though bosch suposedly guarantees them. So I converted to an alternator. Then, after less than a two thousand miles the trany stars this high pitched whine at almost any speed. Turns out the diff isn't adjusted properly. If you jack up the back end, the rear tire won't spin a quarter turn. But since I don't feel like pulling it out, I'm just gonna drive it till it quits and get a new one.

Then the pistons tried to seize on me. Turns out the casting of the case was bad and the oil gallies weren't allowing proper oil flow so the pistons and jugs weren't getting proper lube.

The whole time GEX either wouldn't bother to return phone calls, or just simply said they couldn't do anything for me. Avoid them like the plague.

Quote 0 0
Ryan

I'm not supporting GEX in anyway, I hate them, but lack of lubrication to the pistons isn't your problem.  The pistons/cylinders are splash oiled by the rods.  You would spin a bearing before seizing a piston from lack of oil.  More likely it's a tuning issue and you're running hot.  The only other causes would be piston to cylinder clearance or improperly gapped rings.  Neither of which should ever be a problem with Mahles since all the ones I've seen run on the high side of spec for clearance.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
That's just what the mechanic that rebuilt it told me. Something about the casting of the case caused improper lubrication in the pistons. He said he'd seen it in a handfull of other GEX engines.
Quote 0 0