VWCracker
I have a new 1776, 110 cam, 040 heads, dual single empi carbs. (Not fully broken in yet)  The problem is that it bogs off idle occasionally and sputters, bogs and misses @ the top end. When cruising you can feel it surging. Let off the gas and then give it gas again it bogs and sputters. There is also a little pop in the carbs. Cant find an air leak and carbs are synced. Its got good power but I know it can do better. Cheap Chinese 009. Dist problem? Should I upgrade to an ignitor dist or something better/ Any have a genuine NOS Bosch 009?

Graham

Quote 0 0
VWCracker
After tinkering & driving I have found that it is running super rich, and loading up in the carbs. Popping out the exhaust also when you let off the gas or cruise at constant RPM. I am running new empi dual 34 ICT's on a new 1776. I live at altitude. Why is it running so rich. Do i need to rejet the carbs.

any advice is appreciated.

Quote 0 0
olspeed
Altitude does play a major part in tuning an engine. So yes if you live in an area like Colorado or the like you will need to re-jet. Plus a switch to an electronic ignition will do nothing but help your engine. Also from what you describe, I would run the valve adjustments again as it sounds like they might be a little tight.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0