Juju

Has anyone ever replaced the brake line from the master cylinder to the rear of car for rear brakes?  I would like to know if it can be pulled out through the tunnel and a new line can be pushed back through, or does the new line need to be attached to the old one and drawn through in that manner?  I have a leak in the line in the tunnel and the brake fluid is accumulating in the tunnel.  When the car is parked facing down hill, the fluid runs down the tunnel and drains out of a hole in the pan near the frt. crossmember.  Skycop, if you read this, you mentioned you had a brake that would not operate on left rear.  It could be that you too are losing pressure inside the tunnel with a leaking brake tube.

Quote 0 0
Juju

I discovered this morning at the parts dealer, that the brake line to rear brakes, does not go through the tunnel. It runs parallel to the tunnel on the floor  (Drivers side).  So, to replace it requires removal of the drivers seat, back seat and carpeting.  There are a few  clips along the tubing to secure it and this must be where the tube could be rusted and is bleeding fluid through the rust into the tunnel.  Too cold here to work today but will know soon.  

Quote 0 0
Juju

I worked on this brake fluid loss this morning and discovered the fluid is leaking from the Master Cylinder and not from a brake line.  The master cylinder has a bad seal and when it is depressed and then released it sucks fluid out the rear of the cylinder and it drips down onto the inside of the front crossmember attached to the tunnel and subsequently drains down the tunnel onto the ground.  Another order for parts and 2 weeks wait.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I faced that one too and for once I disagree with the original design.  When the brakeline is run under the carpet, a bit of dampness assures that the rust and pin-holes will not be far behind.  My car had had a second line in this area and it too was chewed.  The replacement that I installed runs under the floor pan on the underside of the tunnel.  It was rust proofed and then given oil-spray rust proofing every September. It should last basically forever and if it craps-out, access for a repair does not require tearing apart the car's interior.  MY 72 BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0