slomarsh

Hi to all,

I'm fixing up a 1972 standard beetle which has been sitting in the garage for a couple years.  Having a problem with the drum brakes dragging.

They intermittently won't release.  Yesterday first the right front, then the left front pulled hard when braking during a test drive.  Both were dragging and hot after a test drive!   Car still has the original flex brake lines and master cylinder (which isn't leaking) and wheel cylinders.  I adjusted the star wheels to free them up and then they did it again on the test drive.  Fluid has been flushed and bled.

The likely culprit?

Thanks for reading

Quote 0 0
ainokea
Replace the flex lines, pull the drums, if you have'nt done so already,dump the dust inside, lightly sand the drums to clean them, reinstall everything, adjust the brake lining. Test drive should show any other problems.
Ainokea
Quote 0 0
slomarsh

Thank you for your input Ainokea.   My thoughts were along the same lines.

No, had not pulled the drums.  Will do so today.  I've heard old flex lines can act like a one way valve.  Will change them too.

Quote 0 0
Wayne
Wheel cylinders can stick too. Make sure all the return springs are in good condition as well.
Quote 0 0
slomarsh

Thanks guys.

Yep, one whell cylinder is leaking and the other is frozen.

Replacing both and the flex lines.

Quote 0 0
ainokea
If the wheel cylinders are leaking and the other is frozen I hope you're changing the shoes along with the flex lines. Even if you have only one leaky cylinder, change the shoes to be safe. Brake fluid on the shoes could be dangerous.
Ainokea
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Agreed. It's almost impossible to sand it out.
Quote 0 0