Hello All. I am a basic newcomer to the VW life, and am finding my way through the mechanic's life a bit fun and frustrating. Anyway, my question and trouble is that my 1973 VW Bug (auto-stick) has a left brake that does not move when the pedal is pushed. The right side moves and the handbrake engages, but no left (drivers) side movement. Note: The brakes were rebuilt by myself not long ago. Any help as to why would be greatly appreciated.

Quote 0 0
Juju

Hi Skycop; You stated that the left side brake does not actuate and that the parking brake works. I assume that the front wheel left side works ok. I am not sure that the parking brake works on the left side rear, however the  hydraulic and the mechanical parking brake are not related in operational methods. If the parking brake does not work on left rear, there is a mechanical part in the system that is either broken or missing and could effect the hydraulic system also..  (You can pull the rt side off to compare parts). If it is just the hydraulic part of the system that has failed, have someone pump up the pedal pressure and then loosen the  "bleeder" screw to see if you are getting fluid down to the wheel cylinder.  If that is ok, I would think the wheel cylinder is defective. If you have no pressure in the line, it is plugged or the master cylinder is defective.  Good luck.  

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The left side doesn't work front and back or just the back?  If you activate the hand brake and have no movement at all on the rear left, I would suspect a seized cable on the left side is causing your problem.  Try disconnecting the cable at the brake end and then applying the hand brake.  If the brake doesn't move at all when you press the pedal,  and it is only one of the left side brakes, suspect a seized wheel cylinder or flex line on that wheel.  It is critical to  follow juju's advice to establish whether you have brake fluid movement at each cylinder.  Don't overlook the possibility of a crimped brake line.  These need to be handled with care.  One good abrupt bend will do in your fluid flow.  Good luck and let us know how the situation resolves itself.  MY 72 Bug   Dan in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0