66VDubbin
i know they have cut and adjustable beams, drop spindles, ect. the front end of my appears to sit higher than normal, seems pretty stiff to. i have heard of pulling leafs out to get it lower but i have also heard that that weakens the beam. does it? and i have also heard of relocating the set screws that hold the leafs in place. whats my best way to lower my front down without spending any money. and im rollin the stock 1300 so i dont really want to use sand bags lol.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Well if I was you I would start saving a little cash. As far as doing it with no money, that is where the idea of pulling out some of the leafs in the front torsion tubes. The idea is to pull only one or two from both the top and bottom tube, I would start with one leaf from the the bottom tube first and see how it sits and then move on from there. There is a major problem with this manor of lowering though, by removing leafs from the beam they have a tendency to move and slip especially if your roads aren't in the best of shape. If they start to slip then the front end will drop more and could conceivably drop all the way down making it hard to turn because of tire rub. Next cheapest way is what I did to my Baja and also to my 76 Bug. That is to cut the tubes "one at a time" in the center on either side of the set screw and move them in the direction you want to go, down or up just a little though. You have to look at it like a wheel, the inside "or torsion tube" will be moved a little like about 1/4 inch the out side or "spindle" will have much less pressure on it so the front will drop or raise depending on which way you move it. It will have to be welded back up again, this is also how they install adjusters which is a better way to go just remember to do one tube at a time and weld it back up before you cut the other tube. The draw back on this is it changes the front end geometry so you need caster shims and the ride is a bit harder, also if you get a cheap pair of adjusters they don't like rough roads either and they can fail. Dropped spindles are truly the way to go as the stock suspension is not changed and no failures from rough roads. One thing to remember though the nose up attitude on beetles was part of the design to make it handle better at speed, so when changing things keep that in mind. Do a little reading as there are some good books out there that will give you an idea as to which way to go.
Olpseed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
66VDubbin

well this isnt budget but it sounds closest to what im aiming for what do you guys think?           http://www.red9design.com/type1.htm

Quote 0 0
68autobug

well,
there is a very simple way to lower the front end..

I have never heard of taking leaves out of the torsion tubes.. or I may have done that...  lol

I have adjusters fitted...
the type with grubscrews to adjust it... [cheap]
the better way is with the toothed adjusters [expensive]

Now, all that holds the two torsion leaves in place is the dimple - in the center of the torsion tubes..
the leaves are in a round solid piece with a cutout for the leaves.. the dimple holds these solid pieces in place...

Now drill out the dimples - and You should be able to see the depression in the solid pieces...
when You slowly push the front axles UP, You will see the depression moving down...
You have to guess where you want Your axles and then drill another hole for the depression
I only know one person who did this...
He then welded a large nut on the tube and used a pointed bolt to screw into the depression...

Once this is done...
You have lowered your car..
If its NOT correct - too low -
You need to do this again...

If You have a welder and a drill - this costs virtually nothing

the NUT should be placed into a piece of thick steel and then welded to the torsion bar so it won;'t come loose..
after You have the front axles where you want them...
You don't have to move the dimple/depression very far..
maybe 1/4 inch....

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
66VDubbin

i think im just going to cut and turn the beam should i buy caster shims? i have the stock wheels and still the old school size stock tires im only going to drop it 2-3 inches then lower the back to level it out no stink bug

Quote 0 0
68autobug

Castor shims would be recommended as they move the castor of the front wheels which should make the wheels centralise after turning a corner etc..

all new cars have this...

If You receive longer bolts with the castor shims
as Mine bottomed out - and if i kept screwing I would have damaged the thread....
so I used My original bolts, as they are long enough...

I had to take My castor shims off as they made My front tires rub on the lip of the fender when turning and hitting a hole or depression in a road or driveway at the same time...

but My wife complains how hard it is to steer when parking...

I believe the 6 inch wide Rims are the problem...
OK for the rear but not the front....

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
68autobug

I have also heard of vw owners just lowering ONE torsion bar...

maybe that would give You a softer ride???

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
66VDubbin

i finally dropped the front end! was much easier than everyone makes it out to be. just pulled out the beam cut and turned each tube and re install peice of cake. everything is still straight no tire rub and in my opinion handling improved

Quote 0 0
68autobug

Excellent work...

did you pull the torsion leaves out??

suspension arms Off??

or just leave it as it was and cut...

LEE

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0