MY72BUG
Dan here in Goderich.  MY72BUG may be put away for the winter but I am still in working mode.  The car has needed a new top and I am taking the plunge in the early spring.  I have purchased the top, headliner, padding kit and cables but I am in trouble over the rear window.
     My car had an aftermarket quickie top with a flexible plastic rear window.  The original glass was long gone - ditto the metal window frame.  The glass is not aftermarketed ( as far as I know ) but I did manage to buy one on E-bay a few years ago knowing that I would do a full top restoration some day.  The window is the familiar oval and has:  " Delodur-1 Liz Securit D-93  DOT25M93A52 " written in one corner.  The seller had a '72 in the garage and said that this was surplus to his needs as he had found a complete unit, frame, glass and all.   The glass measures 31 3/8 inches by 11 1/8 inches or 79 1/2 cm X 28 1/2 cm.  I purchased a metal frame from another source and was told that it came off of a 1973 Beetle.  The rear windows were all the same from 1962-1974.  In 1975 they came out with a larger one which they used from then until the end of production.  The frame is 11 1/2 " by 33 3/8 " or 34 1/2 cm by 85 cm.   The glass drops right through the frame.  Moreover, the curvature of the glass is much more pronounced than the frame.  The fit is simply not there.  Does anyone have the correct dimensions of the glass or the frame?  I took it to the local convertible top guy and his books did not go back that far.  Any help would be appreciated.  Dan ( perplexed ) in Goderich.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I have managed to solve this problem with the help of Michael Berger webmaster of TYP15.com the international registry for VW Beetle convertibles.  As I suspected, my window  frame was actually from a 1975-79 Beetle even though it came out of a 1973.  The oval glass which I purchased on E-bay is 28.5 cm X 79.5 cm,  the correct size for 1963-1974.  One VW convertible specialty supplier in the USA, who shall go nameless, knew the answer to my question but wanted me to supply a photo of my frame and they would supply the glass for a paltry $ 195 plus taxes, shipping etc.  As a result, they will get neither the order for the glass, which would have been wrong for my year of car, nor will they get any other orders from me.  So nyah, nyah, nyah on them!  Keep the faith VW owners.  There are still people out there like Michael Berger who are in it for the love of the cars.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0