zacharytown
Hey guys,

I am currently working on restoring my '76 standard beetle. I rebuilt the carburated engine from my '74 so I could get rid of the fuel injected motor. My concern is this: I am trying to buy a new complete wiring kit for the car, but it seems as though they make them up for to '74, and then after that it changes to accomodate the fuel injected models. Anyone know if any other wiring changed between 74 and 76? If not, i suppose I could use a wiring harness for the '74 right? 

Thanks in advance!
Quote 0 0
ainokea

Get the Bently manual for the 74 model. If you're skilled enough to rebuild your motor, you should be able to remove the f/i harness from the engine compartment and from behind the right side of the back seat. I'm not sure of what has to be removed from the fuse panel, the Bently manual should help there.

Quote 0 0
vwman565
Can you install an 8 wire turn signal switch into a 6 wire system?
1971 only super beetle.  My understanding is that I must have only
a 6 wire switch. Help!
Quote 0 0
ainokea

I'm not sure about that because some manufactures are a little different from each other. However, most switches are now made with several different applications in mind and usually come with some wires that will need to be cut off prior to installing. Remove the old switch and match up the wires.   

Quote 0 0
ainokea
I almost forgot, the turn signal wire harness is enclosed in a plastic trough like connector with the female plug under the wheel. Before cutting any wires, match the wire colors with the old unit, plug it in and see if everything works. If it does you're all good, if  not keep trying til you get it.
Ainokea
Quote 0 0
ainokea
One other thing I neglected to mention is that the F/I wire harness is a completely seperate harness from the main harness. If I remember right, there's only two wires that need attention when removing the harness. one is the power supply to the double relay behind the back seat. The other is a ground wire that connects directly to the batterys negative terminal. Once these wires are disconnected the harness can be removed in one piece and can probably be sold to somebody needing a harness.

Quote 0 0