what's up guys?  so, i'm looking for some bumpers for my 73 standard.  i'm aware that most bumpers available are the brazilian ones and they need a lot of upkeep.  that said, do any of you recommend a decent online site to order some new bumpers, mine are about to rust off of the car and i just got a new paint job, so, it's about time.  i would appreciate ANY advice!                     

tif.

ps...i checked out wolfsburg west and they have been out of stock forever!

Quote 0 0
Wayne

If you've got the $ then http://www2.cip1.com/?Click=30260 has got "Show Quality" bumpers from Europe for $179.95 each. I quote the web site "These are the finest "Made in Europe" bumpers, and are the highest quality we have seen in years. The chrome finish and polishing on these bumpers is as good as the original German bumpers. But we must be very honest and say that the thickness of the steel is a little thinner than the original German bumpers. Overall, we are certain that you will be very pleased with this bumper's look and quality." Use our code "SBC" at the checkout to get 5% off.

When it came time to replace my bumpers these were not available or I might have given them a shot. Most of the vendor sites told me that even the best Triple Chrome bumpers that they sold would rust and I should re-chrome my original German bumpers. So I had them stripped, repaired and triple chromed for about $500.00 for the pair. They turned out perfect and I got a lifetime warranty from the shop. 

Quote 0 0

so, these bumpers are probably much thicker than the brazilian bumpers, right?  because i bought a set when i first got the car, they were about $50 bucks each, and when someone backed into my car (barely hit it) the front bumper crumbled like tin foil.  i'm willing to save a little more cash if it's going to pay off in the end. 

thanks,

tif.

Quote 0 0
Wayne

I'd contact them at customerservice@cip1.com to ask any questions before you order these bumpers, they sound like the real deal to me.

Quote 0 0

Hi

I had Brazialian bumpers that rusted. I bought a set of original German bumpers (for a '70 1500) from ebay, they were not as described (rusted through) the back was salvagable, btu the front had to be binned. So I bought what was described as OE quality bumpers and it turns out they are not OE quality, the steel is about 1/3 of the thickness of GErman ones. They were in fact Brazilians that had been tripled chromed. These are the best new replacements that are available, but they are NOT as good as original. So choice one if cash no object, get some original German bumpers & get them triple-chromed or option 2 get the new Brazilians with triple chrome (I got mine from http://www.vwheritage.co.uk in England @ £159, but I understand they're imported from Belgium). Wouldn't know where to sourece them in the US.

Cheers

Ragged

Quote 0 0