My 71 super seems to be burning oil but only for a moment when I first start it up could anyone tell me the possible cause of this?

Thanks,

Dan

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG

Hi Dan, This is Dan (MY72BUG).  What you have is likely an engine showing some normal signs of old age.  When was your last engine rebuild?  That oil is getting in either down the valve guides ( very likely ) or past the oil rings ( more likely with a really high mileage engine ).  When you shut off your engine, some oil is left on the walls of the cylinders.  That initial start up is when you see the oil smoke because the engine is not up to operating temperature yet.  As the engine warms up, the rings and valve stems expand and "seal " the gaps.  It is likely burning some oil all the time, you just can't see it.  What you need to ask is:  1. How much oil am I burning?  2. Is it fouling my plugs and affecting the operation of the engine?  If the answers are " not much " and "not much", don't sweat it.  Now; what grade of oil are you using?  A thin 10W-30 in hot weather will burn quite handily in an older engine.  Bug folks lean toward higher viscosity ( thickness) oils.  I use a 10w-40 in cooler weather and progress to a 20w-50 in the dead of summer.  MY72BUG has about 5000 miles on a self-done rebuild and it does use a modest amount of oil - no big deal.  My 93 Grand Voyager with a 3.0 litre V-6 uses enough between oil changes to be officially classified as a 2 stroke !!  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Yes,

some engines use oil and some don't....

My late model Mitsubishi used so much one time,

that when I topped it up, it was basically an oil change...

and it doesn't normally use any oil,

and hasn't used any since....

Most manufacturers list how much oil an engine may use...

but most engines don't use a lot of oil...

but I always think that if the engine is using oil, then its lubricating everything, pistons, valves etc..... lol....

so long as You don't leave a trail of blue smoke.....

although its illegal to have a smoking exhaust in Australia...

I use castrol GTX 2 in My beetle , I think its 10w40 grade oil...

My Son uses 20w60 in His beetle...

I don't think it hurts using 60 grade oil in the Summer with temps over 100F....

although since installing engine lid stand offs, My engine bay doesn't get hot like it used to....

and I'm going to install a thermostat soon too....

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug --- Australia ---

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
luftgekuhlt

Have you just done an oil change and switched brand of oil, I used to have a VW Fox, one day I decided to use Valvoline instead of Castroll and the thing smoked like crazy and drove me crazy wondering why this started when my boss at the time told me he had the same thing happenand  then stoped after everything reseated.

Sometimes to move forward you must first fall backwards
Quote 0 0