bschwarz77
I'm trying to replace my nasty old heater boxes with J-pipes, but I cant get in there to the last nut to get those off.  Do I have to pull the engine off the transmission to get to those?  I've even tried using a socket wrench with an angle piece but can't get enough muscle on it to turn the nut.  Is it even possible without pulling the engine?
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
These little beggars have a reputation for seizing in place.  If they are all cooperative, yes you can remove them without pulling the engine.  If the heads are rounded or if a stud breaks off you are looking at pulling the engine.  I would suggest some heat from a propane torch and a shot of Release-All or WD 40.  You can also put a second nut onto the stud and tighten it to the first nut.  Heat the metal where the stud goes into the head, add a shot of Release-All and then back the inner nut against the second one and hope that the whole stud unscrews from the head.  I have gone 3 for 4 removing these studs from VW heads.  When you put the new nuts on, give the stud a good covering of Never Seize compound.  Don't you wish the earlier owner had done this?   Good luck with the project.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
AlphaWolf
I had to buy a number of wrenches to get one that is the right length and angle.  If you get one that fits better it is much easier but it is a trial and error then get another one that you think will give you room/leverage.  I have a swivel head socket wrench that is long enough to break these things loose if they can be.

I would do all he suggested above.  Penetrating oil, heat.  I took mine off without removing the engine.  But it is way easier if you do this when you are doing a rebuilt, replacement, hop up with the engine out.

Quote 0 0
bschwarz77
It took my brother-in-law and I both getting in there and trying out a number of different socket extensions and swivels, but we got it.  I think the WD-40 really made the most difference.  I soaked it a few times and that seemed to help.  Only thing is the stud came out with the nut.  I just used it like a bolt putting the J-pipes on... of course I put on some anti-seize goop for the future.  But for reference... I know I can get that off if I do some serious swearing...maybe smash my thumb a few times or whatever... but it seems to me it would be easier to get a new stud.... is that something that's hard to find?  I think it's fine the way it is for now, but if it's not too expensive I wouldn't mind just replacing it.  I can't find one online but then I don't really know what the technical name for it is.. 
Quote 0 0
AlphaWolf
New studs are cheap and available.  I would not reuse the old one unless you have no alternative.  But if you get it off and it is not stripped or messed up you can re-use it. 

First measure the amount of stud sticking out on those still there.  This will be how far out your new one should be.

Lock two nuts on the stud.  I put loc tight on the threads and then screw it in to the height of the other studs.  Then break the double nuts apart and remove them. 

Good to go..

Quote 0 0