Friedle

Over the last two weeks my bug was missing, I could tell it was not an ignition issue.  The clear plastic fuel filter was not consitently filling up.  Idle was perfect, but as I gave it more gas to WOT (wide open throttle) the missing would begin.  Sprayed carberator cleaner into the top with the engine warm and running, took out the rightside jets, sprayed cleaner.  No improvements.  I replaced the fuel pump, ($24.00> Brazil part) no improvement.  Today, I took off the top of the carb., replaced the needle-valve to the float.  In the test drive she drove like a champ!  I'll take her to school tomorrow(daily drive) and see how she goes...  I did do a trouble shooting reference from a variety of my VW shop manuals.  I hope this helps anyone who may have carb. problems.  Always do the easy things first, before you start throwing money at your bug.   Patrick 

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0
Friedle

If you replace the needle valve for the float, make sure you get an Original SOLEX part.  I used an aftermarket that came with a kit (gaskets in kit okay) and it did not work right, started leaking fuel

Patrick.

'72 Super. Paint-7/20/09, 400+k miles, New engine case "41" Brazil, rebuilt German heads, new Bosch electrics, new Solex German carb. new German silencer. Built by Steve Tims Performance/Enterprises, Riverside CA. '73 OEM airfilter, (Fram elemement), chrome stock wheels, daily driver, 25.46-27.50mpg, driven 20+years.
Quote 0 0