Ok, so I have a 69 bug that has an oil soaked filter.  How do I change it to a Louvered air cleaner??

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
The straight up answer is to look into a site like CIP1.  There are all sorts of after market units available which will readily fit your car.  But; be warned.  That oil-bath factory unit is really very good as long as you maintain it by draining out the oil, cleaning the metal wool unit with solvent and replacing the oil with new 10w-30 , nothing fancy needed.  The after market paper filter units are lacking  the fitting for the warm air duct which takes warm air off of the exhaust manifold while your engine is warming up.  This prevents carburetor icing which can happen on just cool days.  It doesn't have to be below freezing to cause carb icing.  The venturi effect reduces the temperature of the air-fuel mixture as it is going down the throat of the carb.  This can cause stalling and poor performance with your engine.  You can buy a VW factory unit which CIP1 sells for the 1973-1979 bugs.  It should fit your stock carb and will be preferable to any other non-factory units.  It uses a paper filter and has the warm air duct fitting.  Good luck with the project.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

What type of solvent am I supposed to use to clean it?  OH and i'm in Southern California so the temp. doesn't get too cold, does that make a difference?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Any type of paint brush cleaner such as Varsol will do the job.  DO NOT use gasoline as a cleaning agent.  It will do a great job as long as you don't mind the EXTREME risk of things such as flash fires and explosions which can really ruin your day.  If you are getting into DIY mechanics, you cannot go wrong with one of those recirculating parts washers.  I use kerosene in mine and it does a great job of cleaning car parts without any risk of suddenly becoming one with the universe in a molecular sense.  If you are in a part of the Golden State which never experiences temperatures below about 40 F., you could go with an air cleaner which does not use the pre-heater line from the exhaust manifold.  The overall point is that there is nothing wrong, and many things right with the old oil-bath air cleaners as long as you treat them right.  A local Canuck that I encountered told me that there was something  " wrong " with the Beetle he had brought up from Florida.  There was oil in the air cleaner so he emptied the oil and drove home all the way from the deep south.  The damage was already done by the time I saw the car.  Live and learn.  Dan ( MY72BUG) in Goderich, Ont.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0