Ok.  I 'm running out of ideas.  A set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks up front took care of the poor handling and clunking sound up front.  Now, I just need to silence the back.

When I drive my Baja Bug on washboard or rocky roads I hear this clunking like metal hitting metal.  I did a visual inspection and found a body mount bolt missing where the body meets the right rear shock tower.  A new bolt took care of the loudest clunking sound but I'm still hearing noises off road.

I checked the welds where the ends of the torsion tubes meet the pan.  They appear to be intact.

A previous owner installed coil-over shocks on the back.  They are set on the third stiffest of 4 notches.  The bottom of the spring plate sits only about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch above the lower stop.  I'm thinking that somewhere along the line, someone rotated the spring plates on the torsion bars to raise the car.  With the addition of the coil-overs I'm guessing that when I go over a bump the shocks are shooting the spring plate down aganst the lower stop.

I am considering replacing the coil-overs with a pair of KYB's in the hope that they push the spring plate down a bit slower.

But, I thought I'd check with y'all for your thoughts, first.

I have not pulled the spring plates to check the condition of the rubber grommets.

Quote 0 0
luftgekuhlt
You hit the nail on the head, I had the same thing happened when I re indexed my saggy rear bars back to  stock height and over shot, when I went for a test ride it clunked on every little bump.
Sometimes to move forward you must first fall backwards
Quote 0 0