After I installed my 1700lb. Kenndy clutch the weld at the front of the clutch cable tube broke free. Well it didn't really cause any problems but now the cable tube has broken completely free causing the clutch to become very sloppy.
I was thinking of installing a homemade spacer between the flexible portion at the rear where it enters the tunnel.
Does anyone know of an external fix for this problem?
Otherwise it looks like I have to strip out my brand new carpet and cut holes in the tunnel and have the tube welded back into place.

Quote 0 0
Wayne

My clutch tube came loose on my 75 Super, but my mechanic was able to fix it from underneath. I'm not really sure how he did it.

Quote 0 0
OldPunk

I recall years and years ago having the same problem with a 66 Ghia, and fixing it by just pushing the loose end back into where it was supposed to be coming out. I can't tell you if this was mechanically sound or lasting, but it worked for the 2 years I continued to drive the car. If your doesn't want to stay that way, perhaps a slight flattening or bending of the tube right where it supposed to go in would hold it in place. But don't flatten or bent the tube so much that it interferes with the motion of the cable, of course.

OldPunk
_______
Keep yer hands on the road and yer eyes upon the wheel.
Quote 0 0

What should be done is to cut a U shaped cut and fold it open in the passenger side of the tunnel to give you acces to weld the tube back in place . This kind of problem shows it's self on high milage or hard driven bug's up here in Vermont . I have done this repair before for a few freinds that did the same thing after installing stronger clutch's . After welding the tube in place the U shaped tunnel cut can be welded back-up and replace the carpet or mat's and no-body is an the wiser .

Quote 0 0