HAVE A 1974 SUPER BEETLE CONV THAT I AM RESTORING.  THE BODY AND ENGINE ARE ALMOST DONE AND THEN THE RED PAINT AND BLACK INTERIOR.  LOOKING FOR A NY OR NJ PERSON WHO CAN REDO THE TOP.  CANVAS OR VINYL?  I AM IN BROOKLYN.  LOOKING FOR SOME HELP AND SUGGESTIONS.

THANKS,

DAVE

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Most on-line retailers sell a convertible top kit that you could have a local auto upholstery shop install. You can also purchase a video that will help you to install it.

Quote 0 0

I PLAN ON BUYING THE TOP/HEAD LINER FROM A KIT.  BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT PUTTING IT ON IS VERY DIFFICULT SO AS TO NOT GET BULGES IN THE TOP.  ALSO WONDERING FOR DURABILITY WHAT IS BETTER CANVAS OR VINYL.

THANKS

DAVE

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
As a convertible owner who is still saving his nickels and dimes for the top replacement, I can feel free to add my two cents worth.  This portion of the project is for the professionals.  I have seen a number of amateur efforts which ranged from good to downright vandalism.  Even the good one did not remotely measure up to first class professional  work.  Some were lumpy and nearly all had puckers around the rear window.  One effort resulted in the rear window being about 15 degrees out of level.  Your convertible will be evaluated by the appearance of the top.

I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0

HAVING TROUBLE FINDING A PROFESSIONAL IN THE NY NJ AREA. CAN ANYONE SUGGEST ONE FOR THE 74 SUPER BETTLE CONVERTABLE TOP PROJECT.

THANKS,

DAVE

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
This old Canuck has never been to Joisey but a good place to start a search is any antique car club.  It doesn't have to be strictly VW but when you do interview your top meister, ask if he has done a bug and can you see the results.  If the guy is worth his salt, he should be able to show you a catalogue of his work and he should be able to give you the name of the owner of the car who in turn should be willing to provide a reference for the top shop.  It is a long and convoluted approach but you want to do it once and you want to do it right.  Be willing to pay and , unless you can hit him in the off season, be willing to wait.  Think of taking it further afield if you find a good shop a bit farther away.  Your patience will be rewarded.   Dan  in Goderich
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0