Lostboy
I've got to get a new muffler for my 1600 Dual port.  I have two goals with my car, keep it running as cool as possible, and make it as quiet as possible.  I don't care about performance sound, but I want something that pulls a lot of heat away from the engine, but its gotta run at least as quiet as a stock exhaust.  What should I get?
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Keeping a Beetle running cool is a very good idea but I wouldn't be concentrating on the exhaust to accomplish this goal.  Better to look at the air-cooled cooling system.  Make sure that all of the engine "tin" is in place.  Make sure that the engine compartment rubber seals are all in place such that the engine compartment is absolutely sealed tight with the exception of the louvres in either the engine compartment lid or just above the engine compartment lid.  The whole goal here is cooling air in from up above and discharged down below all accomplished by that big fan inside the cooling shroud.  I have seen Bugs where you could look into the engine compartment and see road underneath - NO WAY.  Keep that stock oil cooler in place and in first class shape.  Make sure that your thermostat is opening the path for the air flow or , and this is open to debate, remove the thermostat and wire the louvres in the cooling shroud permanently open.  These few steps will go a long way toward a cool running engine.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
Lostboy
Thanks, Those are all great suggestions, and now that you mention it, I do need to replace the gasket around the engine.  But I know that the exhaust plays a role, and I need a new muffler, and there is also the issue of noise.  Does anyone have any answers for those questions?
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Following along with what My72bug stated... The most important part of the Bugs cooling is making sure that there are NO leaks in the engine compartment. As far as the exhaust go "on a stock engine" make sure that the hoses from the fan shroud are not torn or loose and that they connect to the small spigots that go in to the heater boxes. Also the heater boxes should be in good shape and don't leak from the seams or around the exhaust pipes. And last but not least on the muffler connections, make SURE that they don't leak. Even with everything correct Hot exhaust coming out under the car will do nothing but make it run hotter. As far as a new exhaust that is quieter and that runs cooler... Ditch the heater boxes and run j-tubes (although this IS debatable as to how much cooler this will make the engine run) From there you WILL have to switch to a header to run a different muffler... of course to get your lower temps everything should be ceramic coated. And then for sound... well about the quietest muffler out there IS the stock exhaust, so it will be your choice as to the sound you like.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0