epitaph_tmaz

upgrading to an alternator but i am getting rubbing ang binding issues, keep getting the same issues with origanal fan and a new empi fan i just bought any advise or how to is needed before i throw everything in the front yard 

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Review the order in which you did the assembly of the various components.  All of those spacers etc must be installed in the right order or you can have binding in the movement of the fan inside the shroud.  Before you do the installation of the shroud, the alternator and fan should spin free in the assembled configuration.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
epitaph_tmaz
It does spin freely when assemblied. even when it gets bolted into the shroud outside of the car. once the shroud goes into position on the engine and/or tightening the strap is when all the problems start.

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
It sounds like the shroud is not fitting onto the other tin ware squarely.  Then when the strap gets tightened the downward pressure on the alternator is such that the fan is no longer correctly aligned inside the fan housing.  Try applying various thicknesses of shim stock between the alternator and the saddle piece which holds it.  You may find one just the right thickness to allow the alternator to be held snugly in place with the fan still able to spin freely.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Luckily I have never had a problem with a fan rubbing on the shroud although I have heard it does happen

the fan shroud MUST be perfectly in the correct position...

Is the fan You are using from the generator You took off???

If Not... its probably a bent fan...
they have to be PERFECTLY correct to not rub...

The fan and alternator sit there OK but when the strap is tightened the fan starts to rub...

check everything is right...

the Alternator and fan should sit perfectly before the strap is tightened...
so when the strap IS tightened...
it doesn't move anything...

You are using an Alternator stand and NOT a generator stand..???

Lee

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Lee is right on checking to see if you have a alternator support stand and not the Generator support stand as this will throw things way off. Check the clearance between the fan and the fan cover assembly(part that bolts between alt,or gen) it should be 2mm or (.080in) per VW spec. This would be a good way to check if the fan is warped as this distance should not change as the fan is rotated.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0