Juju

My '74 Super had a wobbly crankshaft pulley, so I replaced it with a new pulley.  I am not sure if the old pulley leaked oil or not, but this new one is leaking quite badly. Is there any type of seal or sealer that can be used to stop the leak?  There is a light spiral thread on the crank pulley seal that is supposed to thrust the oil back toward the crankcase, but apparently it is not fitting tightly enough.  Suggestions needed. 

Quote 0 0
Juju
I am going to answer my own question on this one guys.  I looked up the oil leakage issue on Rob and Dave's site and found the answer, http://www.vw-resource.com/oil_leakage.html#main   How I got into this severe crankshaft oil throwing mess was my own undoing. I took off the original air cleaner that had a vacuum line to the nipple on the the side of the oil filler cap.  I put a plug on that nipple with a 1/16th diameter hole in it, thinking that is all the vent it would need.  Wrong!!  As I mentioed, I had replaced the crankshaft pulley and I could not understand why  the oil leaked so badly with a new seal on that pulley.  Anyway I put a hose connector back on the vacuum connector on the new chrome air cleaner and connected it back to the nipple on the filler cap housing.  Runs drier than a pop-corn fart.  The problem results from the blow-by on the pistons that generates a pressure in the crankcase.  If there is not enough venting of the crankcase, the pressure blows the oil out through the place of least resistance, which happens to be the crankshaft seal. So to improve the venting, VW added some vacuum to the system and this reduces the built up pressure even more.  So if you have an oil slinger, think about depressurising your engine's crankcase.  
Quote 0 0