Wayne
Before you spend $ on disc brakes, you should check out your current brake system to see if everything is operating properly. The factory VW brakes will haul you down pretty fast (not as fast as discs, of course). Make sure you've got lots of shoe left, no leaks and that they are properly adjusted. Then give it a test stop and see if it's really worth investing in discs.

If you do decide to take the next step Top Line Parts sells kits to convert your front or rear drums to a disc brake setup. All the parts supplied with their kit are stock Ghia items (calipers, pads, rotors, seals and bearings) making spare parts easy to find. You can use your original Super Beetle master cylinder with this conversion, so you can save some money there. They also include free stainless steel braided Teflon brake lines.

I've seen similar kits available from California Import Parts as well.

Good luck
Wayne Dean
AllAirCooled.com
SuperBeetles.com
Quote 0 0
Hello,

I have a 1971 Super Beetle and want to convert it to front disc brakes. Can this be done? Where can I get them from?

Thanks
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Yes, its an expensive exercise to change over to disc brakes. ALL Super Beetles in Australia had disc brakes, & it always seemed odd to Me that they didn't have them in North America...
Some people say that properly adjusted Drum brakes will work just as well if not better than discs...
Most people in Australia who own hotted up VWs usually put rear brakes from a type 3 on their beetles as the type 3 rear drums are much larger than the beetles..

Lee Noonan - 68AutoBug -- Australia --
Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
The common knowledge is disc is superior to drum. Depends on the driver and the conditions. Wet -go with disc Freeway driving in Calif. at higher speeds -disc Regular driving in local area -why spend the money, if you know how to keep your drums in adjustment. If you want carefree brakes, go to front disc -topline is a good beginning.
Quote 0 0
68autobug
If Disc brakes are much better than drums, why don't heavy trucks use them?? Cost?? I don't know... but if Your drums are adjusted up correctly, they will work just as well.. the only downfall with drum brakes is going thru water that is deep enough to get onto Your linings, & most people don't drive thru water that deep every day, unless the bridge is out !!
I wouldn't want to spend all that money on disc brakes Caroline.. Get someone to teach You how to adjust Your brakes.. its not to difficult to learn...

Lee - 68AutoBug -
Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
Hiya Caroline,

The bottom line in this subject seems to go something like this............
If you are planning to use your Bug as a daily driver, the drum brakes it has now are more than adequate for your needs. However, if you are planning to use your Bug as a performance car (high speeds and fast manuevering producing high stress on component parts) you would be well advised to look into disc brakes.
Personally, I'm the daily driver sort of VW user. My drum brakes are in adjust. And they will put me right through the windshield from 60 mph were it not for seat belts. Plenty good for me!

Mike

1970 AS Bug
Quote 0 0
68autobug
I honestly believe Caroline that if You drove indentical cars - one with adjusted Drum Brakes and one with Disc brakes, You couldn't tell the difference... You would probably pick the Drum braked car, because if they are adjusted they will work IMHO maybe better than the disc brakes... If You were going down a mountain with lots of corners , You may find the drum brakes fading, when they get hot... and the discs would not... in normal driving , If You hit the brakes hard, You are going to STOP .... regardless of what brakes You have.. If You have a habit of driving at 60 MPH just before Your driveway... I would get discs.. On the other hand Caroline, if You have Your heart set on Discs, then go ahead, they are self adjusting and work well ....
Its very strange that most Volkswagens had Disc Brakes from 1968 in Australia.. One of the first Car makers to do so...
cheers
Lee Noonan - 68AutoBug --
- helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia -
------ and Helping Caroline too...

Lee Noonan

Quote 0 0
I put four wheel disc brakes on the '72 super I am restoring, and it was all just bolt on except for the rear brake hard lines on the IRS. The kit came with new lines that had to be formed to fit, as they came straight. The fronts even used the same flex lines as original.
Clark
Quote 0 0