atccontroller
I have a '70 Beetle and the passenger side handle is hard as heck to open when squeezing the button. It opens smoothly from outside.  When it's closed all the way, I have to squeeze hard to get it to open and the other issue is I can't seem to get the key to turn in the handle to unlock the door...

I was thinking of replacing the mechanism inside the door but can't seem to find a supplier.. ?? 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi
Your door handle May need renewing
they do wear out..
You can fit any outside door handle assembly from a 1968 to 1976 beetle..
there is one screw near the door rubber that you unscrew
and the handle is pulled forward then out..

so, it easy to replace the door handle assembly..

at a guess I would say its worn out..

I can show You pics in a couple of days
My Wife has My camera at the moment, I have a new camera but haven't been game enough to hook it up to the computer as yet..  lol

I'm sure CIP1 sells outside door handles..

probably best to get a new one complete with the key..

At first i was thinking about the passenger door, as the LHS door over here in Australia is the passenger side...   lol

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
atccontroller
Lee,

I pulled the handle and it appears new. I called the previous owner and they are new handles.. Here's what I've found so far.. If I close the door just part way, the handle is fine and works fine. If it's closed all the way, I need the jaws of life to open the door. I'm going to pull the lock mechanism in the door and clean/grease it.. If that doesn't work, then I'll replace the mechanism.

I did find a supplier of these hard to find parts...

http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/

Thanks for the tip...
Alan
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi

well if itisn't the handle assembly
the door latch may need adjusting

You unscrew the 3 or 4 screws slightly

them You can move the plate around

once the door latch on th edoor jam has the screws undone just slightly, You can close the door and see what happens,...
it should work completely with the door jamb latch moved slightly.. it will move to where it wants too..
I'ii find a photo on how to adjust the door lock/latch

cheers

LEE

Lee Noonan

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
Quote 0 0
beetledon

Had trouble with my door handles in my '72 super also. Previous owner installed after market handles that were troublesome and one "trigger finger" lever broke. Went to my local bug junkyard bought several (in case they act up) good used VW door handles that weren't pitted, carefully changed the lock mechanisms so I could use my old key. Needed no adjustment, works great for the last 3 years. Also bought some window crank handles. The after marked ones the previous owner installed broke also.

beetledon '72 super
Quote 0 0