Seattlebug
Hi,

I managed to put in all the windows except the ones that go in the door. The problem is that I'm not sure how the wing vent-window scrapers go in the door. I've tried putting the scrapers in first. Uh, no. The outer scraper (the more expensive one) got really bent up. So I tried putting in the window first, but then I couldn't put the scraper in at all. It was a new scraper.

Well, Chilton's doesn't tell me how to do this. Muir doesn't tell me how to do this. The local VW parts shop doesn't tell me how to do this. In fact, they said that I might have to "pry" the space in the door apart slightly to get them to fit. Nope. There's a steel brace that keeps that from happening.

So, say you wanted to replace the wing vents and the scrapers in your '74 Beetle. How would you do it?
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Is your '74 Beetle a convertible or sedan?
Quote 0 0
Seattlebug
Wayne,

Sorry about the lag in answering. It's a sedan, but I finally go tthe windows in. I surrendered to the physics of ignorance and took it to someone who could do the job without breaking anything. I'm still not sure how he did it, but the windows are in and doing well. They don't leak--not even the ones that I put in--and that even in our Seattle rain, which it's doing right now. Again. I go for a run in the morning. When it rains, it washes all the salt off my hat. I don't think that that'll kill the grass around the track. But when I get back in my car, I'm the only wet thing in it, so the window jobs were done right.

That's one.

Thanks for all your help.
Quote 0 0