jsnotech
looking to install a transmission kit to get rid of the gear reduction boxes in a 1958 panel. I have a kit. I have a used type 3 (square back) trans with axle tubes and drum brakes. I plan on using this type 3 trans for a core on a new trans.

I thought the type 3 and type 1 were close to the same trans? I thinking of doing a "freeway flyer" type 1 trans for the replacement. I also have a dual port, single carb, 1600 motor for this project. I heard about tire size playing a role in this trans selection decision.

Not knowing the tire size I might run or the gear ratio of a "freeway flyer" trans. I am not sure this is the right trans choice for me?  
Quote 0 0
olspeed
What is the year of the type 3 trans as you should be able to research it to find out the R&P ratio. The type 3 had longer legs than a bug of the same year so you might be alright with the gears that this trans has now. As for your Bus you might want to call a transmission shop (Rancho is a good one) and talk to their service reps to find out if you really want a super high geared trans in your application (Bus=weight)especially running a stock 1600 DP engine.
Olspeed
66 Ghia 76 std Beetle
It's not a car it's a VolksWagon
Quote 0 0
jsnotech

Thanks for the input!!!!!! That's a great idea. I'll give Rancho a ring.

Quote 0 0