hello, i'm new at all this.  sorry, i think i hit post before finishing my question.  this idling problem doesn't always hapen.  it seems that it only happens when the car has been running hard and maybe it has something to do with overheating.  i don't know.  i have a 73 standard.  i think the engine is a 1600 but i'm not positive.  appreciate any advice!!

Quote 0 0
Wayne
If your Beetle is running on after you shut it off check all the tuneup items and timing first.
Quote 0 0
vwsurfbum

Usually it happens when the engine is running hot like you sudgest, usually caused by ignition timing out or a blocked fan intake or even cooling hoses adrift.

i have also seen if the cylinders are letting in oil it can also keep the engine pinking so when it turns off, the oil will keep it going!

hope this helps

Quote 0 0

thanks guys, my car is probably ready for a good tune up! 

tiffany.

Quote 0 0
Juju
tiffanyjean wrote:

hello, i'm new at all this.  sorry, i think i hit post before finishing my question.  this idling problem doesn't always hapen.  it seems that it only happens when the car has been running hard and maybe it has something to do with overheating.  i don't know.  i have a 73 standard.  i think the engine is a 1600 but i'm not positive.  appreciate any advice!!

Hi Tiffany:  By this time you have probably got your problem fixed.  The solution I think is a magnetic Idle shut-off switch on the side of the carburetor.  The purpose of it is to shut off the air supply when you shut engine off, to prevent continual running after hard runs if there is a "HOT" cylinder.  It is called dieseling.  You  can tell if it works if you have someone turn your ignition on and off, it will click and you can hear it on the carb. It has an electric wire to it on the left side of the carb. Make sure the wire is attached and "HOT" when key is on. Attached here is a web page at Whitney that shows the part.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2005626/showCustom-0/p-2005626/N-111+10201+600002039/c-10101

Quote 0 0