Hi,

I've just been checking the engine and chassis no. for my 72 bug and the chassis number matches with the 1122... range, but the engine number doesn't!  It looks like it should start AE but it actually starts AD?!  Is this a regional variation or is something more sinister lurking in my engine bay?  I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction here!
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
This is an interesting inquiry in that I expected to consult one of my lists and find a simple answer - well it ain't necessarily that simple.  The EMPI catalogue gives an excellent break down of chassis codes and engine numbers but " AD " does not exist there at all !   I  found another  printout of a page from VWBeetle.org and they show the missing AD code and the missing AC and AB ones as well.  The latter two are for the 1.3 litre which never came to North America during those 1970 to 1975 model years.  The list shows the AD as a 1.6 litre from August 1970 to July 73 for type one and type two VW.  Is your car European?  I'm betting that it is and that the AD is likely a European 1.3 as well.  EMPI may have not bothered listing them as they are likely hen's teeth over here.  Any other lists out there?  Dan (MY72BUG - which is an AE) in Goderich, Ont. Canada
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Hi again Alexander.  I should have known better.  When in doubt consult John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive".  On page 327 his breakdown of engine numbers shows your AD.  In August 1970 they made a 50 horsepower  1600 CC engine starting with AD 0 000 001.  This went to July 1971 and AD 0 360 022 .  In August of 1971 they started again with AD 0 360 025 but it was now a 48 horsepower 1600.  This carries on to July 1972 with AD 0 598 001.  In August 1972 they start AD 0 598 002 and it is again 50 HP !  This continues to July 1973 when the series finishes at AD 0 749 788.  One other note is that AD engines are Beetle and AE are Superbeetle.  I still think that the AD may have been European but I don't see that confirmed anywhere.  Simple eh ?   MY72BUG
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0