Hello, new member here. What size motor came standard with a 1970 Beetle? Thanks in advance.

Quote 0 0
Wayne

That engine is 1600cc with carb

Quote 0 0

Thanks for the info Wayne. I have a mechanic rebuilding my engine and he said that it was a 1500cc. So, I guess that some previous owner had the engine replaced.  You have a nice website here.

Quote 0 0
Marc

A `70 should have a B6 case (first of the large-oil-passage, dual-relief cases). There's no difference in the outside diameter of a 1500 (83mm) and a 1600 (85.5mm) cylinder, so it's a simple matter to rebuild a 1500 as a 1600 and vise-versa. What would concern me is what case does your engine have? There are very few 1500 cases left on the planet in good enough condition to base any kind of quality engine upon - if it's a `68/`69 H5 (or B5 from a bus) case it was bad when brand-new (inferior alloy) and you don't want to use it.

Quote 0 0

Hey Marc, The case for the engine was replaced in the past (that's what the previous owner told me). The case that's on my car has no numbers on it. Also, the mechanic told me that I have a single port engine. Now I'm really confused.

Quote 0 0

I just got the car back from the mechanic and he tells me that the motor is a 1500cc single port. He thinks that it came from a Beetle between the years 1967 - 1969. Thanks for the info. Now I know that my Beetle does not have the original 1600cc dual port, that came from the factory. I only wish that I had the original motor that came with my car. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to my baby.

Quote 0 0
Marc
Dualports were around in 1967 on Type IIIs, but didn't make it into bugs and busses until the `71 model year. Your `70 came with a 1600 singleport. As a rule, singleports get almost 10% better mileage than a same-size dualport; they have about 5% less peak horsepower but are nearly equal in the RPM range where you do 90% of normal driving, and are actually more powerful below about 2000RPM which makes them easier to drive in stop-and-go traffic. 
A singleport is good for a transportation vehicle.

The replacement case is probably at least as good as the original B6, at least it is if it's dual-relief.

With gas prices the way they are today I don't think I'd mind having a 1500; as a matter of fact I've been seriously considering putting together a 1300 for my daily driver.
Quote 0 0

Hey Marc, What grade oil should I use for this engine?

Quote 0 0

hi guys, im new at this...but here i go, marc, did i understand you correctly about a 1968 h5 1500 not worth rebuilding? Because i have one and i was thinking of rebuilding it to a 1641 with, engle w110 cam and lifters and a 35mm dual solex with electric choke carb. kit, and dual port heads. let me know what you think....thanks

Quote 0 0
Marc

vwmoneypit wrote:
Hey Marc, What grade oil should I use for this engine?
Ask your mechanic, he knows more about the engine than I do. An engine with a nice tight bottom end and oil pump can run straight 30 or 10W-40 nearly year-round in these parts, but a "veteran" may need 20W-50 at least in the summer.

Castrol GTX is a good brand choice.

pat wrote:
hi guys, im new at this...but here i go, marc, did i understand you correctly about a 1968 h5 1500 not worth rebuilding?..
That's correct. Even to use it as a low-output stocker it'll probably need to be align-bored, thrust-cut, decked and inserted and the cam tunnel bored out to standard - and that's assuming it isn't already spread at the center main and that the lifter bores aren't too worn. Do all that (money which is better spent towards a new, or at least better, case) and it may still give you trouble with studs pulling as you torque the case together or cracking sometime down the road. The alloy is just bad - these "cottage-cheese" cases had problems when they were only a few years old. Definitely not a solid foundation for any kind of quality or high-performance engine.

Quote 0 0