Am new to this site and I hope someone can help me with some info.  I have a 1962 dune buggy that has a 1964 engine and tranny.  The engine has been  rebuilt and is now a 1600.  I am thinking about picking up a 1972 bug engine, rebuilding and using this engine.  Now my question--- will the 72 engine mount to the 64 transmission.  Will the 72 starter mount to the tranny without a problem?  I'm in NY and don't want to drive to my brothers place in VA. if the engine and tranny won't match up. Thanks.  

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
If  you go into the site for CIP 1, they differentiate starters for Beetles by the years 1946-1966 and 1967-1979.  This corresponds to the change from 6 volt to 12 volt.  Starters are also differentiated by model - van vs.Beetle.  They also differ with the addition of an automatic transmission.  Your 1972 beetle engine will fit your 1964 transmission.  People do this upgrade all the time.  Given that, as long as all of your components are Beetle and your car has been upgraded to 12 volt from its original 6, your plans should work out OK.  Good luck with the project.  Dan (MY72BUG) in Goderich.
I'd rather have a partial bottle in front of me than a partial frontal lobotomy.
Quote 0 0
bug6606

I agree with 72bug, the flywheel is going to be the issue. You may need a drill with a grinding bit to clearance it some too.

Matt
Quote 0 0