Juju

My 74 Super Beetle project was going well until today I degreased the engine with "Gunk" brand degreaser.  I washed the degreaser off the engine with a garden hose and then discovered that the engine will not start.  There is 2 red lights on the instrument panel that I think are the Alternator and Oil pressure lights, niether of these will light up when the ignition key is turned on, nor will the starter or solenoid operate.  The system is stone dead but I do have lights and key buzzer sound, so the battery is OK. I thought perhaps there is a "Neutral" switch that is wet or grounded, but I don't think that would effect the Alt/Oil lights. So I am at a loss as to what I may have "Soaked" when I washed the engine.  If anyone can assist in where I should look to get re-running, I would appreciate some help. Thanks. 

Quote 0 0
Wayne

Soaking your engine is never a good idea. If you do ever have to wash it, keep the spray away from the carb, cap, coil, ignition wires and other wiring. Since those lights in the gauge are out and the engine won't crank, you might have blown a fuse. Check them all and dry off the cap (inside and out) and as much of the electrical components as possible. 

Quote 0 0

Was there a warning against the chemicals contacting plastic or rubber?  at first guess I would think you need to check the wires from the battery to the gen/alt/regulator.

Quote 0 0
Juju
sgtthomas wrote:

Was there a warning against the chemicals contacting plastic or rubber?  at first guess I would think you need to check the wires from the battery to the gen/alt/regulator.

I don't recall what was on directions of engine cleaner.  I have discovered that the  "HOT" wire from the battery is good but the current that should be going through the alternator back to the dash idiot light is dead.  If I jump around the alternator into the idiot light wire it lights so there is a short in the alternator.  I have ordered a new alternator and I looked up some install directions and it is  a stinker of a job to replace but I have to do it.   Thanks for your concern.... juju 
Quote 0 0

Hi - I have the identical problem - one day I went to start it and nothing.  I did not have the normal lights on the gauge and absolutely nothing when trying to start but I did have the key buzzer and lights.  I was about to replace the ignition switch or at least pull it out to see if it was the problem or not but didn't get there yet.  Did you replace the alternator yet?  If so, did it resolve your problem?  If I disconnect my alt, that should also prove out that that is the problem, correct?  Any feedback appreciated.

Quote 0 0